Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CoachBob

Help with Classic Reel Repair

I have three Perrine auto reels from 40-50 years ago that are in perfect condition except for some little glitch that keeps each one from holding the tension in the spring.

I'm not sure when I'd use them again, but I hate to have them not working -- even in storage.

I've looked everywhere I can think of on the Internet with no luck for repair suggestions and fly repair shops just laugh.

Any thoughts?

Hi Coach Bob, I fear no real help here, but try emailing Feather-Craft at [email protected]. They have been in Business since 1955, and though I have never taken an auto-reel repair question to them. They have been helpful with many other odd things over the years. I knew a guy that repaired old Hardy and Orvis reels, but alas he passed in the 80s. Last thought, I suspect a spring has lost tension over time, maybe Ebay to find a like one for parts.

Best of Luck, Cheers, Futzer.

This guy is the master, he fixed a Walker Bampton that I got from someone who had attempted to take it apart without realizing that the screws were peened on the end to prevent them from backing out. I would recommend him anyday. I am not familiar with the inner workings of the Perrine, I have mostly Hardy's, Young's, and Dingley's so I cannot offer any advice, but springs do wear out, in particular spring steel will eventually lose it's springyness (I know that's not a word, but you get the idea).

If your springs are shot, you can have new ones made or find replacements, but I strongly recommend keeping the old ones, collectors like the original parts, even if they are worn a bit. Good luck!

Ryan

http://www.archuletasreelworks.com/

The most common reason (and the easiest to fix) the spring slips is that the pin that hold the end of the spring has broken. A new pin can be fashoned from a small brad and pushed into the raised slot in the outter rim of the housing to hold it. I used to see a lot of these that had that problem. Other causes would be the end of the spring has broken but that isn't nearly as common. And yes Archuleta is the master when it comes to fly reel repair.

I can look at em if you want to send them to me, just pm me. I woundn't charge you anything but the shipping back.