Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fishkill

saltwater/bass flies

I was in Rochester Ny, for training last month. i hate snow. But I didnt bring my xbox so I could get a couple of weeks of tying in(2-3 a night) and some good hoppy beers without all the honey doo's. these are some of the ones i thought turned out decent and I actually caught a couple of reds on the wht/ch clouser before i lost it on some oyster shell in a back bayou. hope you enjoy the pics. I am hoping to post some more soon.Mattscard886.jpgMattscard887.jpgMattscard884.jpg

Not a bad looking group! Some look like flies I have in my boxes. Be sure to tie a few with the hair on the back side of those bucktails. (The tan/brown side) That hair is often finer texture & will give a mottled look to the flies, plus good action. Real good for shrimp, crayfish or crab imitations. :)

Nice... the "Fly tying vs PS3/Wii" conundrum is one that plays out often in my head. Very nice flies. Where do you plan to use them?

Good looking flies.

I guess you checked your luggage so that you could get the tools and glue on? I travel often and always wanted to bring my stuff, but I never check my luggage.

yup this past December was one of our snowiest on record. if you are up this way again let us know. have a little get together.

thank you all for the replies! I uasually fish the salt in and around Galveston. Theres lots of bays within an hour and my dad is a very seasoned angler so I try to learn all I can about the fish from him. I fish the guadalupe in New Bransfels in the winter and summerfor rainbows, bass, perch, carp, gar, catfish..I really like to catch bass and trout though. Im pretty new to tying(hours wise) but I have been trying to make time for about 2 years. I just dont have an area at my house to leave it all how I like it without my daughter trying to eat dubbing and bucktail at the kitchen table so it stays stored untill I have a day off that im not going fishing.

Yeah I bought my wife a Wii and she loves it. I do like the golf game but I dont play golf. Wouldnt the Wii be sweet for a flyfishing game?!

I put the glue and scissors in the checked bag but carried everything else. You could carry your stuff If youremembered to glue your heads that needed glue when you got home. You could buy some scissors in the beauty isle for pretty cheap but I wouldnt try to carry any from your house if their very expensive. I dont think you would fly with them.

I dont know when Ill be back but in rochester I still have a couple of sessions that I know of. Ill give notice. I think the next one will be 4 weeks of class.