Fly Tying
monkey93

PERCH search

I have never really cought a perch on a fly rod and was wondering what your favorite fly for these is because there are a some in a lake i go fishing in

Guest rich mc

i have success using small bead chain clousers size 8 and 10 with marabou blood quill tips,also a tungston cone head mohair leech. hellgramits and wigglers are also deadly rich

I have 2 flies that I really like.

#1 is a black sponge spider size 10 with white legs. I have experimented with different color legs

#2 is a small white popper

Dan

Perch on top water. Hmm Ill have to try it.

I get them on a minnow tied with silver fox over polarair fibers. with holographic flash in the middle. I like it on a daiichi 2220 size 10 with a small cone.

Hex nymphs also work well.

day5, that sounds like a good minnow pattern! You got a picture?

My favorite perch fly is a size 6, grey over white fox fur Clouser, and I tie it with a few strands of holographic flash & pearl flashabou. I use different weight eyes on it to vary the fall rate.

I like the Daiichi 1750 or an Aberdeen style hook for this fly.

I have never really cought a perch on a fly rod and was wondering what your favorite fly for these is because there are a some in a lake i go fishing in

I originally anwered this question assuming we are fishing fresh water pond and lakes.

Blue gill , bream and fresh water perch. I will stay with the sponge spider and white popper.

In tidal rivers where yellow perch migrate.

Spring time I have had my best luck with small clousers. chartreuse over white, and all white.

White perch in salt water

I have had good luck with small clousers also, same colors as above.

Day5 that black spong spider produces alot of perch, crappie, bass, and even a some chain pickeral.

Dan

thanks, that was helpful..........ill have to try some of those this summer and am hoping to catch some of those perch i havent caught one outta that place yet, but maybe now with some of these cause i havent tried any of these yet, all i used so far was was just a small beetle and a few other dries

Up here my family and I have a lake we fish for perch every year, most of the time we end up use the same fly all the time it's a bead head black sparkle leech.The last time we were there we caught 140 perch between the three of us and no we didn't keep them all.

for me really simple flys with a lot of flash work really well , i pressume we are talking about the same perch as we get here in scotland like the one below caught on a fly you can still see it in its mouth

bigperch1.jpg

mcfluffchucker

the species u have there is actually diffrent and isnt as predatory or as big.

i have caught some fairly large perch on a simple caries special.

i also caught a nice one that just hammerd a senko!

any ways not much of a help but whatever ;)

mcfluffchucker

the species u have there is actually diffrent and isnt as predatory or as big.

i have caught some fairly large perch on a simple caries special.

i also caught a nice one that just hammerd a senko!

any ways not much of a help but whatever ;)

ok thought it may have been do you anybody have a picture of your perch over there just interested to see many thanks

mcfluffchucker, man I love that name! We have 2 kinds of perch on the East Coast, 1 is the Yellow Perch ( Perca flavescens ) a relative to the Walleye, and look like the 1 you have pictured, and the other is the White Perch (Morone americana) which is a member of the same family as Striped Bass. Both are found in freshwater & brackish water, both are quite fun on flies & ultra light spinning tackle, and very tasty table fare. A large one for both is about 15 inches long, but most that are caught are in the 5 to 12 inch range. In my area, around the Chesapeake Bay, they both school up & migrate up the rivers in the spring to spawn in the feeder streams, first the Yellow, then the White but neither are there very long, two weeks tops. Then they scatter again throughout the watersheds. Some rivers in Maryland are now closed to fishing for the Yellows, an effort to repopulate them in those rivers.