Fly Tying
Dwhitt1981

Tying kits?

I started in the beginners they told me to post here to. Are the kits from bass pro any good to start with? I don't want to drop a ton of money to start. I'm just looking to save some money and have a fun hobbie. I'm very new to fly fishing and fly tying. Thanks for any and all help.

instead of buying a kit I would suggest picking a few patterns for the type of fishing you want to do and go buy the materials for them patterns as for tools and vises a Thompson A vise is fairly cheap and a good starter vise then get a bobin bodkin sissors and whip finisher at your local fly shop

instead of buying a kit I would suggest picking a few patterns for the type of fishing you want to do and go buy the materials for them patterns as for tools and vises a Thompson A vise is fairly cheap and a good starter vise then get a bobin bodkin sissors and whip finisher at your local fly shop

Good Day,

What he said... I have been tying for twenty years and have been fortunate enough to have been awarded 24 international tying awards and diplomas, not to brag, but I think I know a thing or two, and what Rifleriversteelheadslayer (hey why weren't you at Mason RRSS?) is spot on. You see, there are several inherent problems with the vast majority of kits. First and most importantly, they are crap. The tools are crap, the materials are usually sub-par and all you will get out of it is frustration and a dislike for the hobby. You are much, much better off going to a reputable fly shop, club or tyer in your area. Understanding you are in college, you can still get in on the ground floor without spending a mint. Like RRSS said, a Thompson A will suit you fine as a beginner (It is what I would suggest to any one starting out) and should be under $30. (Or check Ebay...) If you are having trouble finding someone/place in your area, hey that is what we are here for. Feel free to ask questions. If you do not have a fly shop in your area, there are good online sources for materials such as J. Stockards (see above advertisement) or the flytyersdungeon.com. Good luck and feel free to ask questions!

Steelie

Well I found some in the panfish part of the database that I like and think I could use for both bass and pan. But what would be a good hook size (bass for one and pan for one)? And which do you all think would be easy for a newbie to try(see listed). I'd like to do them in both sizes .Thanks for all the help.

Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear

Orange Ion

Adams

Pmd Plamer

Cytrus

Hey man -

I agree with what everyone elses thoughts, but that being said...I would assume that 70% of us started off with some form of a kit, especially newer tyers. Because we don't have a mentor, buddy, whatever you would like to call it. I was a kit fly tyer and it was really great for the time, I received a bass kit from my parents from BPS it had a crappy vice, okay bobbin and a bodkin that I still have today somewhere. It was also nice that it came with a video. That being said it is like 6 years, 3 vises, 5 rods, 3 pair of waders and thousands of dollars later. Yes what you will get in the kit will not be of the same quality as what you would buy off the self, the vise will absolutely suck, but it is an entry point.

I fish a lot for smallmouth and largemouth, and the flies that you list above would not be the first in my box for a Smallmouth or panfish outing.

I would have:

1) Poppers, You can use craft foam that you buy at hobby lobby and its dirt cheap. Strap on a marabou tail maybe some rubber legs from the skirt material used in spinner baits.

2) Wooly buggers, You will need some chenille, hackle and marabou....Preferably a conehead or beadhead also. All this can be found at your local Bass Pro, Cabelas, or fly shop.

3) Clouser Minnow, You will need some dumbell eyes then Cabelas has a buck tail pieces pack like ten bucks. Buy it I get alot of clousers out of that pack...The tails are not all beautiful but they work.

4) Clouser swimming nymph or your hares ear nymph....

The thing is with kits it takes the guess work out of it, but you do get some subpair materials sometimes. I would go into a shop tell them you want to tie the above flys and ask them to set you up.

Good Luck let me know how you fair... I will help out some more if you need it.

Fly Tiers Dungeon has a Fly tiers box on sale this month for $25 in will give you a lot of good material for little money so you can try different things but especially if you want to add some flash to your wolly buggers flash in the store can go from 2.50-4.50 a package. If you do not want to spend the whole 25 his price on other material are cheap also. I got the Christmas box and was amaze at the stuff in it. it more than double my current selection of stuff and I paid a lot more.

I would say go with the kit from, Bass Pro. I think in a few situations it may make sense. I have given many the advise to buy good tools and a vise pick a few patterns and purchase only the materials you need, etc. However, I started out with the trout kit from bass pro. It came with a sunrise vise and an assortment of cheap tools, it came with a bunch of adequate materials for the skill level I was at to tie the patterns that were demonstrated step by step in very good detail by a very competent tier. Lefty Kreh starts out the video shows a few patterns and even shows in great detail how to whip finish by hand (well worth the 45.00 the kit cost by itself) The video and kit does a great job of getting you started, which in my opinion is all it is meant to do. I was hooked and bought a renzetti and a dyna-king before a year had passed, I also bought numerous sets of tools since and more materials than I'll probably ever use. I honestly don't use a single thing that I got in that kit anymore, but many others have, my son, two nephews, brother in law, and a few friends have all discovered a great new hobby using that cheap vise (it still holds a hook). When I think of the countless hours of enjoyment that my friends and family and I recieved from that 45.00 kit I think it has to be the best investment I ever made. just my 2 cents

Have fun tying whatever you decide to do!

What He said. Kits normally have low quality stuff. Go to a local shop tell them you are just starting (that means "Im gonna spend a lot of money here in the years to come"!!) ask them to show you a woolly worm. Buy the stuff to tie it. master it and move on form there. You can catch anything on a woolly worm.

What He said. Kits normally have low quality stuff. Go to a local shop tell them you are just starting (that means "Im gonna spend a lot of money here in the years to come"!!) ask them to show you a woolly worm. Buy the stuff to tie it. master it and move on form there. You can catch anything on a woolly worm.

Good Day,

Amen brother...

Steelie

If you really want to get away cheap

Get a kit from Cabellas/or bass pro for 60-80 you get what you pay for.

Figure that money spent is throw away. money

It may also turn you off though because the flies will not be as good using cheap materials and the book they give you may not be that good

You will find that the flies you can tie will be very limited and in a day or 2 you will go out and spend another 20-30 buck because you do not have the stuff you need

In a month you will want new scissor because the ones you got are dull

And then you will want a new vise in 1 month to 6 months or you will have given up

I went out and bought a Regal Medallion but you do not have to do that may be some other can give you a better Idea on an entry level vise.

You do not save money tying your own flies it is a hobby in an of itself that can enhance your other hobby fly fishing almost every time I went into a fly shop I would plop down $20 dollar to tie a new fly. It is also a nice way to spend the winter nigth and if you have a friend who does it it is fun to do it together and talk. Most of the money I spent is on hooks they are most expensive item other necks you buy but you need more different kinds. and unless you have a inventory you buy duplicates every so often. Especially if it is something hard to find it sticks in your head you need it and when you find it you keep buying it(this would be a good forum question on it own)

I bought 1 neck a year Metz and Hoffman’s so now I have the basic color

Dun grizzly black and ginger

When a shop goes out of business I pick up thing that are a bargain for a buck or 2 may never use it but I have it if I need it

I have a 40 gallon bin full of stuff in originally it was just pack all together now it is all in little plastic shoe boxes in the bin(originally 20 gallon bin)

The Christmas box from FTD though has me set for quite a while.

Knowing what I know now this is what I would get you could bring this list to your local shop and have them set you up or you can shop online

Get 2 Neck generic or Indian black and Grizzly 25 +up each depending on the grade

Bobbin 3.99-13.99 ( I like the ceramic for 13.99 if you like it you will go with the ceramic but the 3.99 one work fine to start and it will become your spare.)

Hackle pliers less than $2

Bodkin $2-5 tooth pick will also work

Marys hard as nails for head cement $2 get it at walmart in the nail polish section

Black chenille you can get a skien at Michaels or other Craft store for 5 buck and or 2.50 when on sale it will last you for life maybe unless you go crazy

Some lead/lead free wire about $5.00

You can get an entry level vise for $20 The ones that come in the kits are pretty bad

Good par of scissor 14.00

Tinsel gol/silver mylar $2

Some hooks size 8 or 6 nymph hooks 10-12 for 100 ( easy size to tie when first starting out)

Peacock hearl $2-4

Black marabou 2

Something red yarn

2 neck 50

bobbin 14

pliers 2

bodkin 2

MHN 2

Chenille 5

Lead wire 5

Vise /Clamp 20 +20 for the pedestal

Scissor 14

Tinsel 2

Fly tier dungeon 10

Dubbing/ flash

Some hooks

Peacock 4

Hooks 12

Marabou 2

$140

If I were to go this route I would upgrade the vise because there is a lot of money involved

The Benchside Introduction to Fly Tying (Spiral-bound) 45 I got it cheaper at Amazon but they raise the price recently

But it is very good tell a lot of techniques

Or

Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple (Paperback) 13.97 and this is good for starting out

by Skip Morris

This will allow you to tie woolly bugger nymphs and some dry flies

The first 6 months to a year you will probably spend 200-300 either way you go if you like it just a custom kit will leave you with more usable material

I think it all depends on whether or not you know, with 100% certainty, that you will enjoy fly tying. Everyone here likes to tie. That’s why we’re here. It’s easy for us to say, “Go out and buy the better stuff.” But if you are uncertain it may be better to have a $60.00-$70.00 kit collecting dust in the closet than have several hundred dollars worth of tools and materials. I started with a cheap kit, fell in love and quickly upgraded. You’re throwing your money away on a kit; no doubt. I occasionally use a small set of hackle pliers that came with my kit and that’s about it. If you don’t like tying it’s a waste of money that just sits there gathering dust. If you like tying you’ll be replacing/upgrading everything in 6 months. But you may be throwing more money away if you buy the better stuff and don’t enjoy the hobbie (unless you unload it on ebay or something).

However, if you have tied and have the bug, your best bet is to go with the quality stuff right off the bat. If you go that route, make sure you’ve got the bug ‘cause you can spend some serious jack.

-D

Well I have never tyed a fly and other than what I've seen here or on youtube have I ever seen it done. It just looks like a ton of fun. That is why I ask about a kit . I'd rather waste $50 on carp I'll upgrade. Not $150 to $350 on good items I'll never use. Now If I like it I'll wish I had got the better tools, But if not I'll only be out $50 bucks. Thanks for all the help

I would agree that most of the kits on the market are not that good. They are way better than in years past.

The problem really boils down to whether you want to learn to tie flies for the sake of learning to tie (as mentioned above, as a hobby in and of itself) or simply tie the flies you want to fish. If you want a new hobby, like most others you will end up spending money and your best bet is to pay for a class to get you started. Once started you can take it where ever you want. If you want to simply learn patterns you want to fish you can cut some corners. By knowing the specific patterns you want to tie it helps narrow what materials you need.

I would suggest two things. First see if there is a fly fishing club in your area or within miles you are willing to drive. See if they have free classes/clinics to members and non-members. Often, to get some exposure, they will hold free tying classes for beginners at local sporting goods shops. Along those same lines, stop by a shop and see if they know of anyone willing to teach someone new.

If you don't find someone or a club consider a class at a local fly shop. Most shops will have different levels of classes and/or have someone willing to sit down with you one on one for a small fee. Tying your first woolly worm maybe all you need to get started.

Good Luck.

I would suggest two things. First see if there is a fly fishing club in your area or within miles you are willing to drive. See if they have free classes/clinics to members and non-members. Often, to get some exposure, they will hold free tying classes for beginners at local sporting goods shops. Along those same lines, stop by a shop and see if they know of anyone willing to teach someone new.

Sage advice, Olorin. Personally, I think a fly club is the best resources for a beginner, although it looks like the closest for Dwhitt1981 is Huntsville. Still not too far to take a drive a few days a month to attend a fly tying class to see if it is something you really like doing. Typically, the club will provide tools and materials so you will be spending your start up money on gas and club fees instead of a collection of materials of dubious quaility. Furthermore, if all you are thinking about is carp flies, then all you need is basic tools (vise, scissors, bobbin) and a minimal number of ingredients (thread, hooks, dubbing, etc.). All the kits I've ever seen are biased towards trout fishing, which is not going to help you that much.

Sage advice, Olorin. Personally, I think a fly club is the best resources for a beginner, although it looks like the closest for Dwhitt1981 is Huntsville. Still not too far to take a drive a few days a month to attend a fly tying class to see if it is something you really like doing. Typically, the club will provide tools and materials so you will be spending your start up money on gas and club fees instead of a collection of materials of dubious quaility. Furthermore, if all you are thinking about is carp flies, then all you need is basic tools (vise, scissors, bobbin) and a minimal number of ingredients (thread, hooks, dubbing, etc.). All the kits I've ever seen are biased towards trout fishing, which is not going to help you that much.
Ditto!! Depending on the flies you can even pick up some materials at the craft shop.