Fly Tying
freddyg

midge pupa

Try the Fly Pattern Database and select Search at the top, then scroll down and input "Midge" into the search box. Have fun. when you select a pattern you should get the recipe and the tying instructions.

This is one of my patterns that has served my well. Just adjust the colors to your midges.

Midge Pupa

While at the Denver fly fishing show, I saw Brian Yamauchi's realitic pattern and had to buy the dvd. the techique he put out is unique and the pattern is very effective. That's what I call money well spend.

He will be tying at the WDTU tying clinic. Come check it out if you have time.

No, I have not had a chance to do so as I've just met him at the show. Plus, I only use surface flies in Winter.

However, he uses the flies tied himself ONLY. According to others, Brian is the one who gets to catch a lot of fish. There are pictures and pictures of his own fly dangling from fish's lips. A picture worth a thousand words and he's got hundreds of pictures. How does that add up :unsure:

I have to say that I haven't fished um yet but I know midge flies work all year on my local tailwaters. They have every thing my local trout would love.

Hi Freddyg, I use an extended body Chrionomid pattern, it is very easy to tie and works very well. These are tied on TMC 2487 size 20s, I use Magicdub micro chenille or Hareline Chironomid braid pearl peacock for the body, Peacock herl from a peacock sword for the thorax, and crinkle zylon for the wing. Only thing I do differently is for the wing I do a fold over bubble in front. Let me know if you would like a pattern DB entry with step by step, but this is really easy to tie.

Cheers, Futzer.

post-16961-1232497849_thumb.jpg

Hey Futzer, nice set of flies. :headbang: Fred, you should tie a few of those and some of Brian's flies and you will be all set.

Hey FreddyG, I grew up in Littleton, and fished RMNP and the Estes area a great deal, let me know where you are going, even by PM and I will let you know what I know.

Thanks too J. Michael for the support. Cheers, Futzer.

Thanks again everyone, you folks are the best. Futzer, those are very nice flies and I think I will be ok without the step by step. Any information you have on fishing RMNP would be a great help. I should be set with this info.

Thank you Thank you Thank you

I'd say the traditional European buzzers are pretty realistic and very effective.