Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sniksoh

furled leaders

i would like to know about furled leaders. i mainly bass fish, is there a furled leader i can use for bass fishing?

and can anyone show me how to make them?

i would like to know about furled leaders. i mainly bass fish, is there a furled leader i can use for bass fishing?

and can anyone show me how to make them?

Well Sniksoh if you didn't live so far away I would show you but since that's not probable I will give you a link to a dvd that shows an extremely effective method for making them. They fish great , are cheap to make, and they are durable. As for bass fishing I think you'll want a short leader with a fast taper to turn those bugs over. Once you learn how to make the leaders you can add more turns of thread to the butt sections, move your pegs a little closer, and thin it down quick and I believe you'll find what you are lookin for.

Good Luck and if you need any questions answered don't be afraid to ask, Eric

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/prorevw/kathyscott.php I believe the dvd is 15.00 well worth it!

The line setup up is your second description ({fly line/ furled leader/ mono leader/ fly})

I second Kathy Scott's video. This is what I used to learn how to make them. The mono is your tippet (you cans set it up with a small loop to loop connection too...

Tom

does the furled leader attach directly to your fly or does it go {fly line/ furled leader/ mono leader/ fly}?

I am getting her video so I should be able to start making mine this spring. I have used them for 2 years and absolutely love them. They turn the line more smoothly than a standard mono leader. Another thing that I like is that you don't have to try and straighten the leader out because there is no memory.

what does the furled leader do different than just ataching a mono leader to your line? i under stad what flyfshn76 is saying but can anyone go into this more extensively?

I believe you attach the furled leader to the fly line, tippet to the other end of the furled leader and loose end of the tippet to fly.

Mike

I got some from Oatka and they are great for drys! I know that has nothing to do with your question.

I furl my own, and I would recomend doing some research whether by online or video. It's an aweful lot to explain here. Despite length of description, it really is an easy process when you do it once or twice.

The furled leader will connect to your fly line, and then use a length of mono (or whatever you preferr) as tippet on the other end.

Compared to a manufactured tapered mono leader, furled leaders turn over icnredibly well, have essentially zero memory (think of the coils in your tapered mono), and are customizable to your specific needs. You can also tailor them by using mono that floats for dries, colored Uni thread to match water conditions for wet flies, etc.

I use nothing but furled. That's all I've got to say about that.

Deeky

I got some a few yrs back from a member on the forum who sent me some. needless to say I'm hooked. And Im sure most anyone who has used em agrees. Because it's kinda like a rope, you're not as likely to get wind knots in em. And, if you do, you can easily remove the knots. not to mention, I've had one that I'm still using after 3yrs. You just have to keep them away from the sunlight when not in use, and store them rolled like packaged leaders in the store. Or, like snelled hooks, and keep em stretched to keep them straight, and in order. Hope that helps ya.

I really love furled leaders for smooth turnover and delicate presentation; qualities which are more associated with dry flies than bass bugs. Now, I am not familiar with bass fishing, but I do fly fish for northern pike - and when fishing the big pike flies I can get by with a level leader. This eliminates even the cost advantage of home made leader.