Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
RJD31

Mustad Signature versus Classic Hooks?

I am going to place an order for some Mustad Signature Hooks. However, their Classic 9671 Hook is 2X long with the Signature R73 equivalent being 3X long. Also, their Classic 9672 is 3X long with the Signature R74 being 4X. Why are the recommended replacements a different size?

Ron

I am going to place an order for some Mustad Signature Hooks. However, their Classic 9671 Hook is 2X long with the Signature R73 equivalent being 3X long. Also, their Classic 9672 is 3X long with the Signature R74 being 4X. Why are the recommended replacements a different size?

Ron

There is an excellent discussion of this and the whole deal over at flyanglersonline.com, in the fly tying forum. "Mustad is going to shaft us..." is the thread title. There is a lot of very good info posted from Dr Fish, and employee of Mustad, and a nice conversion chart as well. Hope this helps.

Mustad has standardized their hook sizes. Their classic hooks are not universally comparable when you look at the description. Now with the signature series the hooks are univerally standard when it comes to the description. This will prove to be superior but you have to stop referencing from the old hooks. I hope this helps.

Phil

Picked up the mustad catalog and conversion chart from DR. Fish himself yesterday at the Fly Fishing Show in Somerset NJ. I wish I had seen this question prior to attending and could ask him in person!

Funny thing, I have Mustad 9672'S in size 10 and they match up with the R73-9671 size 10's in the catalog.

This would be a good question for Dr Fish at FAOL

Wayneb

I read the whole thread at FAOL, and I'm still sad that Mustad is dropping the classic hooks. They were good hooks for a good price, which equals good value. Now they're just more bling, boutique hooks at boutique prices, which don't do anything better than the classics did. Used them and loved them for 30 years. I'm not agreeing with the alleged pricing of the hooks compared to the classics either. A quick check of online sources shows a minimum of $3 more per hundred- (50 x 2, because they don't seem to be selling them in 100 packs) which is still a lot better than most of the "look at me! look at me!" brands.