Fly Tying
Dwhitt1981

Casting Help

I've only been fly fishing for a total of about two or three weeks. So I'm looking for so good tips on casting. I'm getting about 20 or 30 feet in my cast before it just dies on me :wallbash: . I thing I'm tryin to hard to not muscle it out there. I'm using a 9' rod wf 5w line 4x leader and top water poppers (easyer to see) as for now. Any and all help would be great. Thanks for the help. :blink:

It could be how your casting is it dying on your back cast? If it is it might be your waiting to long look back at your cast until youve got the feel. Once it goes into a J looking shape not a U start your forward cast. hope this helps

Trying to help someone with a cast problem by text is nearly impossible.

Try to get a "hold of" :ph34r: The Dvd: The perfect cast, It should give you some insight and some entertainment as well. :rolleyes:

What do you mean by "topwaters?" Poppers or ants? If you're trying to learn with popper or bass bugs, that'll slow your learning curve as larger flies like that can slow you down.

There's alot of things it could be. Just saying "it dies" could indicate a few things. But typically when that happens it's a matter of an inefficient cast, and your fly line is losting energy. If you don't feel like professional lessons, get yourself a book by Lefty Kreh or Ed Jaworski. These two gentlemen are pretty much about as knowledgable as you can get.

An efficient cast consists of a tight, narrow loop on the front and back cast, a sharp accelleration throughout the cast, not starting a forward or back cast until all slack line is removed from the line (either on the water or in the air) and a level path of travel for the rod tip. There's other factors that go into a good cast, but for efficiency, you need to remember these things. The other things to remember are the sudden stop at the end of the cast, and keeping your rod tip high (produces tight loops) and a few other points here and there.

And this is where proper instruction or a book or DVD will help you. I could write six paragraphs about exactly what I'm talking about and try to describe them, but my writing and descriptive abilities pale compared to theirs, and it'd honestly save us both time if you went down to Barnes & Noble and got a book that'll have pic and captions. Heck, you could probably find it online if you looked for it.

But right now, just going off of "it dies" it sounds like your casting stroke is inefficient and you're losing power in your line.

It could be how your casting is it dying on your back cast? If it is it might be your waiting to long look back at your cast until youve got the feel. Once it goes into a J looking shape not a U start your forward cast. hope this helps

I'd agree that alot of casts are killed in the back cast, but I'd have to kindly disagree with the "J" shape. As far the load on the rod, a J is the same as a U in that the line is still laying out on the back cast, and still hasn't fully begun to load the rod. If your line is still in a J, you've still got "slack" in that line that hasn't gone tight and loaded the rod. The line needs to be fully unfurled or laid out both on a back cast or front cast before the opposite cast is made. Think of it in terms of the line on the water, you woudln't pick up your line with a J laying on the water. No, you (should) make sure that your line is straight and all slack is taken up before making a back cast. The top leg of the J is line that will not be used to load the rod, and the first half of your cast is spent pulling that top leg down and around, and only then can you fully, efficiently load the rod.

What size are the poppers? They may be too large for the 5 wt..

It sounds like you may not be generating enough line speed, and/or you're not loading the rod properly on the back and/or forward cast. This could happen for various reasons but you are more than likely breaking your wrist which means your rod (tip) is traveling in the form of an arc as opposed to a straight line. Remember, the weight of the line and the spring in the rod is what carries the fly. To provide the spring you must stop your rod (dead stop, no slop) on the forward cast and back cast without breaking the wrist. When you are ready to deliver the fly you must stop the rod on the forward cast and then follow through.

Thanks for all the help. I think what I'm doing is not giving the rod time to load and just rushing the cast. I've found tons of vids on youtube on casting so I just need to watch them again. Thanks again

You're also probably dropping your rod tip and putting slack into the line. Keep the tip up and don't drop it until the line begins to drop.

I'd also suggest that you have someone take some pictures (or video) of you while casting. My wife took some pictures of me while I was at the park practicing last weekend. While she wasn't taking the pictures to help me improve my fly fishing skills, I have to admit that they really opened my eyes as to where I need to focus on to improve. I've only been fly fishing for a little over a year now and have never been comfortable with my casting. Those pictures really helped out. Now I just need more park time ...

Good luck ...

I've only been fly fishing for a total of about two or three weeks. So I'm looking for so good tips on casting. I'm getting about 20 or 30 feet in my cast before it just dies on me :wallbash: . I thing I'm tryin to hard to not muscle it out there. I'm using a 9' rod wf 5w line 4x leader and top water poppers (easyer to see) as for now. Any and all help would be great. Thanks for the help. :blink:

I haven't been fly fishing all that long but when I go for JUST one more false cast it seems like my line just hits a wall. A fellow told me that when I'm thinking I need one more false cast to let it go instead of taking that one more. And ain't it great when I see that fly just sail out there just as if I really knew what I was doing. If even being bad at it is this much fun I can hardly wait till I'm good at it. :D

AB

I went to a fff seminar, show a couple of weeks ago. find a group like this around you. I am not a member yet due to the financial obligation to it, but it was very helpful to watch one of the classes they held at the show. ever hear that snap either on a forward or back cast. you just broke the sound barrier. go out to the barn, garage, basement, whatever and pick up that hammer. find a good place to just take a couple solid swings with the hammer. this is the same action you should be taking to cast. like others have said the best way to work out your own kinks is to be video taped while practicing. it is amazing that even when you think you have a good technique down the video shows so many errors. not sure where you fish or what kind of fishing you do, but generally speaking, unless you are fishing the flats in florida, or something like that a 30 ft. cast is more than sufficient. when practicing there is really no need to have a leader and tippet and fly tied on just cast you fly line alone. you should be able to see this very clearly. get used to the feel of the cast. pay attention to how it feels when your line straightens out. Once again if i could give any advise at all, short accurate casts make for better long casts. Its all about the same just understanding the techniques.

Here is a youtube video that really helped me when I first started out. There are four or five short videos in this series, watch them all.

Don't worry about part 1 unless you just want to watch it :dunno: