Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
troutninja

Has anyone tried Ultra GSP thread?

I've used it. It never broke on me, but it does fray easily. Other than that, I didn't see any added incentive for the extra $3 a spool. I can see using it on deer hair where you need a ton of pressure. I never spun deer hair and used the gel spun thread.

I've used it for tying egg glo bugs. You can ty very tight to keep the eggs from spinning on the shank. I may be tying my eggs wrong and have used this as a crutch though.

You can keep them from spinning on your hook if you take a small file to rough up the surface of the hook slightly. It allows the thread to bite the surface better.

I only use the GSP for spinning deer hair also.

thanks for the feedback, guys! Has anyone tried the 50 denier? J Stockard says its size is equivalent to 12/0 thread and thought it may be good for tiny nymphs.

I've used the 50, 100, and 150 and the 50 is my fav. I use it for nymphs, eggs, and spinning.

I use the Ultra GSP 200-denier for all of my deer hair bass bug spinning and stacking requirements and prefer it to all other threads for this purpose.

Advantages:

Very strong -- have never broken it while tying a fly.

Slippery -- slides very easily between individual hairs and whip finishes very cleanly.

Flat -- you can use it flattened out or twist the bobbin to make it round, much like flat-waxed nylon.

Colors -- comes in various colors, although white is most commonly carried by fly shops (which is all I use anyway, so no problem).

Disadvantages:

Difficult to cut cleanly with scissors -- I use a double-edged razor blade to cut this stuff.

Slippery -- When first tying on to the hook, I often apply a touch of super glue to keep it from slipping off.

Fraying -- it is made up of a zillion micro-strands and, if you nick the hook point for example, you will fray one or more of these strands. (I haven't found this to be a particularly troublesome issue compared to other threads.)

-- Mike

I use the Ultra GSP 200-denier for all of my deer hair bass bug spinning and stacking requirements and prefer it to all other threads for this purpose.

Advantages:

Very strong -- have never broken it while tying a fly.

Slippery -- slides very easily between individual hairs and whip finishes very cleanly.

Flat -- you can use it flattened out or twist the bobbin to make it round, much like flat-waxed nylon.

Colors -- comes in various colors, although white is most commonly carried by fly shops (which is all I use anyway, so no problem).

Disadvantages:

Difficult to cut cleanly with scissors -- I use a double-edged razor blade to cut this stuff.

Slippery -- When first tying on to the hook, I often apply a touch of super glue to keep it from slipping off.

Fraying -- it is made up of a zillion micro-strands and, if you nick the hook point for example, you will fray one or more of these strands. (I haven't found this to be a particularly troublesome issue compared to other threads.)

-- Mike

Great post, I use it as well for deer hair spinning and I love it!

It is good for spinning hair, but that is the only application I use it for.

me 2

shane