Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Drath

Ever tie for the Dark Side?

I own 3 working baitcasting rods. I have 3 or 4 more that I simply wore out. I love bass fishing. I tied a rabbit leach on a jig head for the spinning rod. I also tie a very heavy crawfish that could very easily be fished on a spinning rod.

When I take my niece and nephews fishing in a local farm pond, they have ultra lite spinning gear and I put on a hopper type floating pattern and a split shot and they sight cast to gills. they love it.

I almost forgot, I tie flies for saltwater also! I caught a nice jack on a pink and white tube fly two years ago and I was on a carolina rig! :) LOL

I've tied lots of bucktail jigs... they were catching walleye, bass, and everything else long before the bazillion kinds of soft plastics were ever dreamed up. My Dad and his friends were using them to kill walleyes, smallmouths, pike, perch, crappies, and everything else at least as far back as the early fifties. He used to night fish for walleyes in the rivers and considered a black bucktail jig the number one lure. Guess what? They still work. With some thought, very creative and useful jigs can be tied- my brother ties bucktail jigs for the Allegheny River in Pennsylvania in a way that makes them fall extremely slow for any given weight... and he catches a LOT of fish with them.

I also like to make spinners for bass, trout, and everything else. Normally I will tie up a "dressed" treble hook with hackle, flash, bucktail, etc. I have a few friends down here in the south who are very experienced fishermen who have never used an "INLINE spinner" as they call it. They don't trust them but they can't argue when I catch fish with them. I like being able to make spinners exactly how I want them, for a lot less than store-bought, and they are very effective.

I also use Bunny Leeches on my light spinning rods. I can cast a wet, heavy bunny leech much better on a light spinning rod and 4lb mono than I can on my 7wt!

There is a lot of satisfaction in catching fish on "hardware" lures which are home made- almost as much as on my flies.

Overall though, I'll try to be fly fishing first.

Yes, I tie a ton of bucktail jigs for striper fisherman and marabou jigs for crappie fisherman. It doesn't matter what kind of fishing you do just as long as you're having fun and it is within the bounds of the law.

It doesn't matter what kind of fishing you do just as long as you're having fun and it is within the bounds of the law.

true. here,here!

shane :headbang:

I started steelhead fishing with a Noodle rod before I began fly fishing and now I use my Noodle rod to fish Clousers and Hypnofish from the bow casting deck of my Bass Boat when I am fishing local Bass Tournaments. I get some funny looks and snide remarks but after I have outfished them everyone wants to know all they can about what I am using and how I can catch those bass on such a wimpy rod. I have never understood the rip them out of the water mentality of the Bass elite. Fishing with a telephone pole has never been my idea of a challenge or much fun. I prefer to have the fish at least have a reasonable fair chance.

I tied more shad darts and striper bucktail jigs as a kid than I did flies. And I got more money for them, too. There's a tremendous creativity that comes with being released from the trap of "castability" - One of my favorite "flies" I tied for fishing for creek smallmouth features two sets of large leads eyes (I call it a double truck) and the whole shebang weighs 1/5 ounce - perfect for a spinning rod and 10lb super braid. The guys I tie them for do quite well with them...

Here's a personal favorite that was featured in a write up in the Columbus Ohio Dispatch - it really killed them on Lake Erie...

GobieJig(500p).JPG

Take a look here for step-by-step and video.

Joe C.

Termite, real nice looking jigs!

22 baitcasters, 18 spinning rods, 14 tackle boxes, plus 8 fly rods, numerous fly boxes, 4 trolling rods.

I've tied a few things for the Dark Side! :dunno:

I primarily fish in tidal waters, so I keep my options open. I keep a few boxes of bucktail jigs in many sizes & colors for casting & trolling. I particularly like hair jigs, but mostly use them in freshwater streams & rivers for Smallmouths. I use many different types of hair, depending on the size & what I've trying to imitate. I basically tie 3 types of hair jig, one is the standard "bucktail", then the shorter "hair jig" that imitates crayfish, and finally baitfish types. Many streamer patterns can be adapted to jigs.

I've tied shad darts for many years, as well as many other styles of jigs for Crappies & Perch. Woolly Bugger style jigs work well on many species, as do what is commonly called a Flu-Flu jig, which is a feather dressed jig. Jigs dressed with ostrich herl work great for bass, and make great leech imitations.

I also own numerous molds for pouring lead, so I make most of my own lures too. I've experimented with all kinds of lures dressed with many "Fly" tying materials, but especially rabbit.

I dress trebles & single hooks for crankbaits, topwaters, & for jigging spoons.

The suggestion about C rigging works with all kinds of bass flies too. Try it sometime with a rabbit strip fly or a Dahlberg Diver, or a big saltwater style slider. You have to experiment with leaders lengths, but it will work. :)

I've done some ice fishing flies, leeches, blood worms, maggots etc. New to tying this year but having fun playing with it :bugeyes:

Here’s a pic of the fly/bait/lure :dunno: that got me to start this thread. It’s not my best tie but it was my first one on a 3/0 hook. Since then I’ve gotten a little better and tied a few bluegill patterns too.

Thanks for all the ideas and tips for tying for my non-fly rods.

EP_grub.jpg

-D

I tie clousers for some friends who I fish with for bass. They work so good, and they are weighted enough to cast easily.

I also tie some bass bugs on jig heads with black marabou for some friends who bass fish in tournaments, they used to tie them on their own, but it's just faster if I do it.