Fly Tying
flyfisher46

Renzetti Rotary vise

I was talking to the owner of the local shop near me and I asked him about the rensetti traveler and he suggested the rotary vise. Should I go with the Rensetti or get a cheaper knock off model and upgrade later. I know I'm going to enjoy flytying.

I have had the Renzetti Traveler for about… wow, could it be ten years already? I still like it a lot. Granted, it didn’t get much use for 3-4 years as I somehow got away from tying and fishing for that matter. Anyway, I’m just trying to say I still like mine. Even though I don’t use rotary tying techniques often I do use the rotary function every time I sit in front of it.

Yes you can. Like Drath, I don't do rotary tying but use the rotary feature to examine different sides of the fly. The Renzetti Traveler is a very good vise. I use mine less now because a traditional style vise like the HMH Spartan works better for me tying wet fly wings, but I used the Traveler for at least 10 years before I got that.

Possibly going down today to look at vises, Definately going to get other tools. Any advice on what I should get? Read that I should go with a ceramic bobber, good pair of scissors a whip. Anything else you can think of. I will be tying flies primarily for trout starting out.

flyfisher46,

See if the shop has the Dr. Slick tool set. It comes with the basic tools for around $50. It includes: bobbin,bobbin threader,whip finisher,bodkin/half hitch,hair stacker,hackle pliers,and 4" scissors. A great basic starter tool set.