Fly Tying
dreamergal

Hooks, hooks and more hooks

I am working on a school project and would like some feedback on which manufacturers of fishing hooks are best. Why you think they are the best, the cost effectiveness, and the fishing effectiveness.

Any help would be appreciated.

hard to go wron with teimco and mustad, they are the most durable hooks ive ever used and there not expensive I have never had a hook from either of these companies break

My preferences run to Tiemco and Gamakatsu for "fly tying" hooks. I'm not fond of Mustads the only one I've found that's sharp right out of the box is the 3777 and that's not a standard fly tying hook. Non-standard hooks I use for fly tying are mainly Eagle Claw and Gamakatsu.

I suppose Mustad because they are readily available and usually in a pretty good selection. I also like Tiemco, but they are a bit more money.

The hooks I am starting to use now are Togen hooks. The are not too far off Tiemco in style but probably the least expensive hooks I have found. They seem to be of good quality but do not come in the same wide selection of styles.

Wapsi makes a brand called Lightning Strike .. actually they're Daiichi made and don't cost anywhere near TMC's or Daiichi's. At one time I was probably 90% TMC but am switching to the LS brand if the style I need is made.

Mike

99% daiichi the rest is mustad. for the quality and sharpness daiichi is the best for the money. Tiemcos are great but cost more than daiichi and the quality is no different. Mustads are good but the sharpness is not always the best. (3366!!!) :wallbash:

I use mustad and tiemco, but recently learned about hooks not to buy. The ORVIS emerger hooks I recently bought were bending with 8/0 thread. Now how can I bend a hook with 8/0 thread. I know i Have big muscles but that is ridiculous. :flex: Last batch of orvis hooks I will ever buy.

Up until recently, I've been using Tiemcos exclusively. Lately, I've bought some Mustad R74's and C53S Signature hooks and have been pleased. Mustad's are a bit cheaper sometimes. So it all depends on the style hook I need.

I have used many brands of hooks before LS,Daichii, Mustad, TMC, eagle claw... but my favorite is Partridge !!! They are hard to find but when I find them I buy a lot. Sharpe, and by far the strongest hooks I have used.

hard to go wron with teimco and mustad, they are the most durable hooks ive ever used and there not expensive I have never had a hook from either of these companies break

ditto

Is this a trick question? Which motor oil is best, which vise is best, which hooks are best?

I have used Mustad my entire life with absolutely no complaints. For flat out value, availability, and fishability, the pre-signature hooks were very hard to beat. Twenty-seven milliseconds with a hone ended any issues about "sharp". The new signature fly hooks that I've used have been great, at a decent price. I never enjoyed paying the boutique prices that some hook makers get. I've used them all at one time or another, and keep falling back on Mustad.

There are some styles of hook that someone may want that is just plain not available except by one maker, and in that case, you want what you want. I've also seen some hand-made salmon fly hooks that I would agree are intrinsically worth every penny asked for them.

There is no doubt that certain brands of hooks have developed a cult following, and people pay way more for the logo than the contents of the pack.

my favorite hooks are mustad...they sells packs of 50 for like 4 or 5 bucks most other companys sell packs of 25 for 4 or 5 bucks but when i cant find a pack of 50 mustads i like to buy on ocasion lightning strike hooks i just like them