Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dryfly purist

Spent spinner with wings of hackle

Here are two spent spinners with wings made of hackle.

They serve to different purposes. The one with the goose biots body will float higher in the water and the one with the woven body will float a bit heavier in the water.

Every once in a while the spent spinner lies quite deep in the water and the last one with the woven body are for those occations :)

I normally use the biots one or one with a dubbed body.

I always use tied up hackle as wings on my spent spinners. After changing to hackle wings fishing with spent spinner has totally changed to a positive experience.

No more polyyarn, antronyarn, organza and other stuff for me.........well cdc wings i like but mostly hackle wings.

Here are the two versions with biots and woven body.

Hope you like them :D

Terje!

Hook: tmc 102Y #13

Tail: Coq de leon

Body: Woven antron (two colors) and biots

Thorax: Alpakka dubbing

Spent Wings: Tied up hackle of good quality.

Spentbiotsspinnerc.jpg

Heklaspentspinnerb.jpg

Amazingly fantastic. All your flies are quite superb. Do you ONLY tie and fish dries?

Mark

Thanks a lot, Mark.

Yepp, i only tie and fish dry flies............ have to be faithful to my nickname, you know :D

Terje!

That's too bad. I'd love to see some wet flies & nymphs. I'd bet they would be great. Keep up the great posts, however. Your flies are inspirational.

Mark

That's too bad. I'd love to see some wet flies & nymphs. I'd bet they would be great. Keep up the great posts, however. Your flies are inspirational.

Mark

I just got to be true to my religion :D :D ........ but thanks for the good thought :)

Terje!

Terje, the one with Coq de León is my favorite :) How do you work the hackle fibres like that? Would you mind posting a sort of intermediate photo to share the technique, or is it a trade secret? I am intrigued...

Terje, the one with Coq de León is my favorite :) How do you work the hackle fibres like that? Would you mind posting a sort of intermediate photo to share the technique, or is it a trade secret? I am intrigued...

No secret, i have already posted a sbs and it´s the same way as this :) : http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=41281

Dave:

Thanks buddy :D

Terje!