Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jimmywhiplash

When does your season start

I can always fish for something any time of year (sometimes requiring bait, sorry guys) . IN Pennsylvania Trout only gets closed down a few weeks before opening day and remains open on many special regs streams. Problem is that many streams in my area are freestone and freeze quickly. This year we keep getting nice warm days to melt that nasty ice.

Hopefully no one will hate me but it will be 50-50 degrees F this weekend after getting about six inches of snow last night. Can you just see those bugs jumping this weekend? I plan on being on the water all weekend chasing trout.

Funny thing last year on a pretty cold New Year's Eve, I took my nephew to an impoundment and he caught a real plumper LM bass on a mepps that had to weigh close to 4 pounds. That may not be big for you southern boys, but it is pretty big up North. He was a bit scared as it was his first fish and he caught it on an ultralite. He kept saying he thought he was going to break the rod.

Yeah I might hit the little lehigh this weekend with my new 3 weight rig I bought at the somerset show..... if i can tear myself away from my new vise and all the swaps I have to tie for

California is year around for the most part except for the some of the Eastern Sierra it does close on Nov. 15

Jon

Trout opens the last Saturday in March and runs until Sept. 30

Bass opens the last Saturday in June and runs through Nov. 30

Pike are closed during their spawn, and re-open in April

February is the hardest month for me... I haven't been on fish since mid November, my fly boxes are full, all equipment is ready and I still have close to 2 months to wait.

February is the hardest month for me... I haven't been on fish since mid November, my fly boxes are full, all equipment is ready and I still have close to 2 months to wait.

Oh, that must really suck... Can you do at least some ice fishing? Or is it just reading fishing magazines and dreaming on past glory? :P

That is a looooong time without being able to fish. What do you do to pass the time?

Trout opens the last Saturday in March and runs until Sept. 30

Bass opens the last Saturday in June and runs through Nov. 30

Pike are closed during their spawn, and re-open in April

Some years I can fish all winter long but this year's been a colder and all the local rivers are pretty well locked up. I'll be fishing as soon as the ice is out and the run-off slows enough to fish. We've got a nice warm-up coming so I'm hoping by March 1st. :)

All you guys have it easy. My fishing season has three season breaks throughout the year.

I can't fish on:

Valentines Day

aniversary

the birthday of the most wonderful woman on the planet.

Other than that, I can fish for trout and steelhead the other 362 days per year. Yep, life is tough and it really sucks being me. . . . . :rolleyes:

Pennsylvania has some crazy regulations. Trout seaon is April 4 - September 7, there are Delayed Harvest Areas, that fish year round and use atrificial and fly only. Because these become the only fishable trout water they can get crowded at times...like the weekends. Nice though because they are designated C & R water only until June 15 throught Labor Day, hence Delayed Harvest. I wish they'd make the whole state C&R. Lake Erie and the Steelhead tribs are open for buisness year round. We also have year round Approved Trout Waters in places. You need to do homework to fish Pa.

Proof women run Wildlife Management in Czech Republic!

and we are allowed to fish 3 days in a week

...well thats what my girlfriend trys to say too, thing is, I just don't listen!

Louisiana is sportsman's paradise for a good reason. Good fishing all year round and big limits. We C&R most of the time, but there are occasions when a redfish dinner just calls to you.

Florida (my other home) sells more fishing licenses than anywhere else for good reason -- year round fishing for great gamefish - but the limits are 1/5 of Louisiana's.

Anywhere along the Gulf is also year round. Someone from Corpus Christi can tell you about south Texas.

Trout fishing in Arkansas is year round (though slower in winter months)

Trout fishing in Colorado is year round in select trophy waters (e.g. Taylor River and Frying Pan River)