Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyfisher46

Hooks

I recieved a bass pro gift certificate and I'm going to buy a cheap rotary vise to hold me until I can save up the money for a good vise. wondering what size hooks would be good for trout? Any suggestions on feathers and such? Thank you.

I recieved a bass pro gift certificate and I'm going to buy a cheap rotary vise to hold me until I can save up the money for a good vise. wondering what size hooks would be good for trout? Any suggestions on feathers and such? Thank you.

There are many different sizes for trout, so it is more about what you plan to tie. I normally use 12, 14 for nymphs and 8 for wooly buggers.

If you want to tie dry flies then you will need to get dry fly hooks.

Ask the guys at the shop, most of them are pretty knowledgable, at my store anyway.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction.

Hi FF46, I need to know more about what patterns you are interested in and where you are fishing. I do trout patterns from 2/0 down to 32s. Start in the middle with 12s, or 14s on some basic nymphs like gold ribbed Hairs ears, and phesant tail nymphs. After you get those down some, maybe a Renegade in dry fly and wet fly hooks, same sizes. Then start posting some fly pics and we can continue the discusssions. I personally like Tiemco and Gamkatzu brand hooks for their high quality, but they have premium prices.

Good Luck, and have fun. Cheers, Futzer.

I will be fishing on the Swift river and The Deerfield river in Mass. Not sure of patterns yet. Thank you.

Well, I won't be much help there, but there are many Eastern tyers on the forum to help. Check what the local shops recommend on those rivers, and let us know.

Cheers, Futzer.