Fly Tying
nu2trout

Snook Flies?

Hey Guys,

I need to get some snook fly recipes for an upcoming trip. Do any of you have any or know wher I can get some step by step patterns?

Hey Guys,

I need to get some snook fly recipes for an upcoming trip. Do any of you have any or know wher I can get some step by step patterns?

Fish Buzz TV has a few good ones. Its been a while since Ive been on that site but its worth checking out. http://www.fishbuzztv.com/

At a glance I like Bill Jacksons White Bait for starters. Not exactly step by step recipies but it will help.

Good Luck

They're not all snook flies & all the tying steps aren't included in all the fly patterns, but for a good selection to start with :http://www.mangrovecoastflyfishers.com/flytyings.php

They're not all snook flies & all the tying steps aren't included in all the fly patterns, but for a good selection to start with :http://www.mangrovecoastflyfishers.com/flytyings.php

What a great website. Wish I lived a little closer to saltwater! :ripped:

Where will you be fishing? I snook fish most of the year in SW FL and throughout the Everglades.

The World Record out of Chokoloskee Island was caught on a Mirrolure fly

post-4245-1234117674_thumb.jpg

If you will be fishing the beaches, small white EP flies, clousers (or similar) work well. I use bead-head marabou flies with success

post-4245-1234117768_thumb.jpg

If you will be fishing the stained water of the backcountry creeks there are a few other flies I'd use. This is the Ugly Little Secret - it has saved more days for me than I care to mention.

post-4245-1234118017_thumb.jpg

Weedguards are a "must" for most people, since you want to put the fly close to structure. Typical small backcountry snook - fun on fly

post-4245-1234118367_thumb.jpg

Go to the library and check out saltwater patterns by Lefty Kreh. Great book and all flies have pics and recipies.

Howdy JJD, is the ugly little secret all marabou except for the bead chain eyes & Krystal flash ?

I used to tie them with marabou tail and spun wool, but there was really no difference when switching to marabou. I just twist the marabou with the tying thread and wrap. The intent was a quick fly that you wouldn't mind losing in the mangroves. Even with weedguards you always lose a few if you are putting the fly back where the bigger fish live.

My opinion is that tide, general size, and color are the most important things - in that order. I'm good friends with full-time professional guides and you would probably laugh at their "go-to" patterns. The underlying theme is simplicity. This past weekend I had the most success with a no-name fly that was just a white marabou tail, with a white cross-cut rabbit body, tied off with red thread and loop weedguard. I started catching snook as soon as I changed patterns.

I'll also second Steelie's recommendation for the Schminnow (except with bead-chain eyes instead of mono). Whatever you tie, be sure to tie weighted and unweighted versions so you can cover more of the water column.

Howdy JJD, is the ugly little secret all marabou except for the bead chain eyes & Krystal flash ?

I used to tie them with marabou tail and spun wool, but there was really no difference when switching to marabou. I just twist the marabou with the tying thread and wrap. The intent was a quick fly that you wouldn't mind losing in the mangroves. Even with weedguards you always lose a few if you are putting the fly back where the bigger fish live.

My opinion is that tide, general size, and color are the most important things - in that order. I'm good friends with full-time professional guides and you would probably laugh at their "go-to" patterns. The underlying theme is simplicity. This past weekend I had the most success with a no-name fly that was just a white marabou tail, with a white cross-cut rabbit body, tied off with red thread and loop weedguard. I started catching snook as soon as I changed patterns.

I'll also second Steelie's recommendation for the Schminnow (except with bead-chain eyes instead of mono). Whatever you tie, be sure to tie weighted and unweighted versions so you can cover more of the water column.

Thanks guys!!

I will get busy on some of these, but any suggestion on sizes?

DT's on #4 & #2, schminnows on #2 & #1, Clouser minnows & EP's on #6 thru # 3/0 , mirrorlure #1/0 thru 4/0. Most of my snook flies tied are on #4,2,1,& 1/0's :yahoo:

DSC00986.jpg

here is a schminnow I tied lsast night. I need to make the body a little more full.

going to try the DT Special next