Fly Tying
nu2trout

Snook Flies?

May have seen the last of the 30 degree mornings as the temps are going to be in the 80's for the next 10 days. The 90's might get here before April does ! As for fishing spots, unless you have your own; here's where these flyfishers go in the area: http://www.mangrovecoastflyfishers.com/outings.php & http://www.suncoastflyfishers.com/outings.html

Thanks so much for the info! I am pumped about the opportunity to get on some salt.

I will be guided one day and fishing with a bud the other day, I am sure he has a couple of spots selected for us.

Just got back from Bonita Springs last month and a White Gurglar was the Hot fly for site casting to schools of snook in the surf.Unbelievable!

Joelst

nice fly!!.....if your going to fish the lights at night....go small....2's and 4's....you'll get more fish

This is a great old thread and I've enjoyed reading it. For anyone heading down to the Everglades or places nearby, you can divide your snook bugs into stuff for night fishing around lights (generally small and white) and bugs for daytime. For daytime stuff I usually tie two categories of snook flies - ones meant for beach, surf type areas, and ones meant for the kind of places that snook like to hang out in - usually bad tangled areas with downed trees, mangrove shorelines, etc.

In that last category (pretty much jungle fishing....) I want a fly with a weedguard as first requirement - then I start thinking about what I want it to do... Here are three patterns that I've had great success with over the years.... The first is the Silhouette, tied in lots of different colors (but it's hard to beat white when the fish are on pilchards or "white bait", mostly on a 2/0 Owner Aki hook (this is also a good fly for small to medium sized tarpon that are working white bait in canals down in the Keys - I have one customer that orders these by the hundred..). The second bug is a woolhead minnow on a Mustad 1/0 hook, they're done in mostly dark colors since they're winter bugs - some have lead eyes, others plastic or holo eyes when I want the fly to suspend... The last bug is a clouser variation - the Whitewater Clouser on a 2/0 Mustad hook. This bug is specifically for pounding mangrove shorelines where you're putting the fly right into mangrove roots or downed mangrove branches or logs in shallow water. This past week almost every fish we took on fly was using this pattern (and one of my anglers did a backcountry slam with it - snook, redfish, and trout caught and reeased. We couldn't find a small tarpon to make it a grand slam...). Here's a few pics. The Silhouette, by the way, is my original pattern developed in the late seventies.... my personal best snook on fly, a bit over 21lbs, was caught and released on one in the first bay of Lostman's River some years back...

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

post-30940-0-30097400-1325160222_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-37905000-1325160251_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-32125100-1325160273_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-70830200-1325160288_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-97932000-1325160349_thumb.jpg