Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Joe Hard

Hate horse flies?

The fishing guides in the Adirondacks used to catch a live dragonfly, and trap it on their hat with a couple of loops of thread. Swore it kept the blackflies and such off them.

How is the fly fishing out there in UT? Heard good things about it, but never chatted with anyone actually from UT about it. I was thinking of moving out there, but I'm not moving anywhere unless the fly fishing is superb!

How is the fly fishing out there in UT? Heard good things about it, but never chatted with anyone actually from UT about it. I was thinking of moving out there, but I'm not moving anywhere unless the fly fishing is superb!

Hi Bucksweep, Utah fishing is good to great, just remember we are a very diverse state when it comes to topography, From full blown desert to the Unita mountains. I would have to say we do not have as much water to fish in as Idaho, Montana, Colorado, and Wyoming (the areas I am familiar with). The Green river is our most famous as it is such a prolific tail water below Flaming Gorge dam, The Provo is probably next, but is not big enough to float, maybe an inner tube on the lower Provo. The Colorado does go through our southern side, but is a warm river at that point and not alot of opportunity.

When I was bragging to Bud, Henry's fork is in Idaho, and about 5 hours from Salt Lake. As for living here, it is great. I am not an LDS person and like it very much. We are equal distance from Las Vegas to Yellowstone National Park at 6 hours from each at Salt Lake. We are most famous for our snow sports like skiing and have the lightest powder snow on the planet. So if you have more questions, just give us a shout. There are several of us lurking on the forum. I am a transplant, but been in Salt Lake or Park City for 26 years now, so I guess it stuck. Originally I came out of Colorado.

Cheers, Futzer.