Fly Tying
dryfly purist

cdc paraloop mayfly emerger - step by step

Here is a step by step of a woven/crochet paraloop mayfly emerger.

Hook: tmc 2487 #14

body: to pieces of antron yarn, woven

thorax: alpakka dubbing

paraloop: cdc paraloop

The paraloop is made with cdc on this one, but i also sometimes combines both cdc and ordinary hackle when making the paraloop. The cdc softens the ordinary hackle and makes it more alive.

In this fly you can notice that i use a magic tool and two cdc feathers. It could easily be made by using only one cdc feather, but when using two you have more control when it comes to trimming the fly afterwards.

I just use my fingers and remove cdc until i get the amount of cdc that i want.

Terje!

cdcparaloopa.jpg

cdcparaloopb.jpg

cdcparaloopc.jpg

cdcparaloopd-1.jpg

cdcparaloopf.jpg

cdcparaloopg-3.jpg

cdcparalooph.jpg

cdcparaloopi.jpg

cdcparaloopj.jpg

cdcparaloopk.jpg

cdcparaloopm.jpg

cdcparaloopn.jpg

cdcparaloopo.jpg

very very nice pattern! are the body crochetted or woven? what material do you used?

congratulations. you ara an expert cdc tyer!

febfly

very very nice pattern! are the body crochetted or woven? what material do you used?

congratulations. you ara an expert cdc tyer!

febfly

Thanks a lot febfly, i really appreciate your kind comment :D

I`m not sure if it`s called crochetted or woven, but i used this method:

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=41283

The materials used in the body is antron yarn i two colors, dubbing for thorax and cdc for paraloop.

Terje!

Terje,

When you are building that paraloop, there appears to be a post of thread wrapped yarn standing above the hook. Are building the paraloop around that post for stability and then slipping it down by tightening the thread the CDC paraloop is built on? I'm still trying to understand exactly how you've done that.

Thanks!!

Ray

Terje,

When you are building that paraloop, there appears to be a post of thread wrapped yarn standing above the hook. Are building the paraloop around that post for stability and then slipping it down by tightening the thread the CDC paraloop is built on? I'm still trying to understand exactly how you've done that.

Thanks!!

Ray

Hi Ray!

The post of tread is connected to this gallow:

flugbindning_verktyg_s8658.jpg

I use my tying tread and makes a post by taking 4-6 turns through the gallow before securing the tread and start the hackle process.

The hackle is wrapped tight upwards and then tight downwards again and secured with the tread.

When that is done i unhook the tread from the gallow, make the thorax and fold the hackle forwards to make the paraloop hackle.

I´m sorry Ray for my bad english when it comes to explaining stuff, but this is the best i can do for now :)

Terje!

Terje,

Don't worry about your English; you are a heck of a lot better with it than I am with Norwegian!!!!! :D I understand now! I thought that fly had a parachute, but its not; its a paraloop! I see; I see. Thank you!!!!

Ray,

I ordered one of the books from Amazon last week, but they are having trouble getting it, so I bought two today an ebay, one for the house and one for the clinic. Thanks!!

Ray