Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ortho004

Materials

So I have been doing pretty well with the materials that were included with my starter kit, but now I am running them pretty low, and trout season is coming quick... As I am looking for new materials, where should I look (not really any fly shops around here that I have found). I would prefer to buy stuff online if that is possible. Also, is there a way that I can get a variety of common materials, rather than buy them all separately? I would like to, for instance, get a variety of colors of chenille, or hackle, or maribou rather than just a lot of one kind... Keeps things more interesting. Hope this makes sense. Thanks for your help.

Hey ortho004 , the sponsor of this forum, J.Stochard has everything. just click on the ad at the top of the page and it will take you to his website. Many of the items can be ordered in a variety pack. Which is one of every color offered . Thread and marabu are just a couple of examples. If you're unsure of what size something is or what it's best used for , call their 800 number and talk to James .

He is very knoledgable and can answer most of your material questions . So you don't buy something you are not going to use.

From your forum name I would guess your a orthodontist ,a orthopedist or just got braces?. Either way , good luck on the trout this year . If you have any problems with fly patterns ask the guys here. There are some great tyers on this forum and they all like to share info.

Fred

From your forum name I would guess your a orthodontist ,a orthopedist or just got braces?. Either way , good luck on the trout this year . If you have any problems with fly patterns ask the guys here. There are some great tyers on this forum and they all like to share info.

Fred

Thanks for your help, but you were wrong on all 3 guesses. My last name is Orthober and my University ID/Email is ortho004-Makes remembering all my info easier to have it as my screen name ;)

Fred

Thanks for your help, but you were wrong on all 3 guesses. My last name is Orthober and my University ID/Email is ortho004-Makes remembering all my info easier to have it as my screen name ;)

Well Ortho4, don't mind Fred, he ties the best realistic patterns out there. Let us know what you want to tie, pattern wise, J Stockard is a great source, and there are others. If we know what you are after we will gladly help. Now if you want a Cricket that you think actually chirps or a hopper that will eat your houseplants, A real tiger gecko, a spider to scare all the women in the whole house, then keep Fred on your short list. Have fun.

Cheers Futzer

I have to agree, J Stockard. I just ordered from them for the first time this past friday. I have to say that the prices were very reasonable compared to some other online suppliers I have used.