Fly Tying
Dwhitt1981

Dr. Slick Tool Set?

I was looking last night and came across them, but I have no idea what the hair stacker and half hitch tools are or how to use them ? Are they tools I will use as a beginner ? They also have a jumbo handle size are they better ? Thanks for the help.

Half hitch tools, good to have not nescessary if you can do it by hand, which is pretty east but I still use mine sometimes. Hair stacker you may not use right away but I use mine all of the time. It depends on what type of flies yo0u will be tying, but the ability to stack hair is a basic fly tying technique.

You will use the stacker. Aligned tips make a fly look better but I have never used a halfhitch tool cause it is easie and faster to just do it by hand.

A hair stacker is used when you prepare the "wings" of bucktail flies. It is used to align the tips of the hair. You put a clump of hair in the stacker with the tip ends down and tap if a few times on your table. Then when you pull it out the ends are all aligned.

A half hitch tool is one way of tieing off the fly when you finish it. Some people do it by hand. A lot of people use a whip finish - either with a whip finish tool or by hand.

Yes, you will use them both.

The stacker is use as explained in earlier responses, but you won't work with hair for a while unless you jump over a few learning steps.

The half-hitch tool is very convenient and I use it a lot instead of hand whipping. Options for whipping are just a matter of preference. The half-hitch tool is also great for putting in a single hitch so that your thread doesn't unwind while you are working on something else. I actually find it faster than hand whipping, but that's just me.

Dr. Slick are great tools if you got the bucks buy the set. If you can, go to a fly shop and test out regular cheaper tools and then the jmbo set. You might find that you dont need expensive tools