Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Isonychia

Some young rainbows

In the process of doing a feature article on a local fellow who raises trout in a home aquarium, I had the happy task of trying to photograph said critters.

I had the fellow hold two of the flash heads to a Nikon R1C1 macro outfit at 45-degree angles to the tank's side, roughly 6 to 8 inches from the glass. The outfit's infrared controller, clipped into the camera's hot shoe, allowed me to shoot with through-the-lens matrix metering. I set the camera for shutter priority, 1/100 of a second, and snapped away. Here are some of the results:

post-3247-1234212360_thumb.jpg

post-3247-1234212375_thumb.jpg

Sure beats the heck out of donning a wet suit and snorkeling!

John

how on earth does he keep the water cold enough if these are aquariums??

oh, and nice shots :)

how on earth does he keep the water cold enough if these are aquariums??

He runs the water (at the rate of nearly 1,000 gallons per hour) through an Oceanic 1/4-hp flow-through chiller, which keeps the water temperature at a steady 52 to 53 degrees Fahrenheit. The fish live in a 75-gallon tank.

John

Cool shots! Seeing those parr reminds me that I have some tying to do. Rainbow and steelhead parr are the preferred meal of big browns in the spring around here.

does he release them into streams ?

Yes. Because he's affiliated with Trout Unlimited's "Trout in the Classroom" initiative, he will stock the rainbows he raised in a stream designated by the state Division of Natural Resources.

John