Fly Tying
spiaailtli

Dyna King Jaws

Anyone else think the Dyna King jaws are too soft? I bought a Dyna King about a year ago for my first real vise. While it does hold big hooks it never would hold 12s, 14, or anything smaller.

The Jaws are smooth now from normal wear of tying flies. It just seems to me like they are way too soft.

I bought a new vise last night and dang that thing is rock solid.

Hi Spiaailtli, I have never had issue like that with mine, I have a DK pro and have tied commercially thousands of flies on mine. The regular jaws have two notches in them for larger hooks, and the midge jaws are flat and smaller at least on the Proseries. Could you possibly have been tying large hooks on midge jaws? Just a thought. The folks at dynaking have been very easy to work with. I bet if you email them they will have a supportive answer. I estimate I have tied 6000 + doz dries in sizes 12, 14, 16, 18. Never an issue.

Hope you find satisfaction. Cheers, Jeff.

Contact Dyna King That should not be happening. Also I know with D.K. vises they are real sesitive on the tension, If you have the tension to light hook moves and it will smooth out the grooves. The tenison has to be just right. Within the first year they should re-work your existing jaws.

carlp

Hi Spiaailtli, I have never had issue like that with mine, I have a DK pro and have tied commercially thousands of flies on mine. The regular jaws have two notches in them for larger hooks, and the midge jaws are flat and smaller at least on the Proseries. Could you possibly have been tying large hooks on midge jaws? Just a thought. The folks at dynaking have been very easy to work with. I bet if you email them they will have a supportive answer. I estimate I have tied 6000 + doz dries in sizes 12, 14, 16, 18. Never an issue.

Hope you find satisfaction. Cheers, Jeff.

Nope, I don't have the midge jaws. I just sent them an email asking if it is cheaper to buy new jaws or have the others refurbished. While the "vise" has a life time warranty the jaws are only covered 2 years against defects or breakage. Mine are not really broken they just don't work. :)

I want to get this vise up and running again as a backup. I really like the design but it is a bit of a pain when the hooks slip or pop out of the jaws while you're tying.

I just wondered since they had the refurbish program if maybe it was a design issue. If others are having the same problem I'd just buy another vise like my new one rather than messing with the Dyna King. My best guess is the vise has about 6000 flies tied on it. I've had trouble with it slipping on small hooks from day one. It just got worse after a few months of using it.

If no one else is having trouble I might give the Midge jaws a try to see if they work better.

I only put the midge jaws in for 20s and smaller, when I am cranking out an order, but the regular jaws will hold the small hooks if I am tying a couple to go fish with. Hope you get it solved. Jeff.

I have 3 DK vises and have not had a problem with them at all. I believe the standard jaws hold .. or is recommended to hold .. size 8/0 to 22. I also have a friend that has an old Barracuda with his original set of jaws. He adjusts the tension on EVERY fly he ties. To show you how old this Barracuda is .. his sequence number is 700 something of all Barracudas made and the Barracuda has been around for awhile.

Mike

First line of my email:

I bought a Kingfisher about a year ago.

Their response:

it all depends on how old the vise is.

if its old then a new jaw would be best if within 2 years old, then we can re-serrate the jaw.

:)

Question:

I believe it is only a year old. What would be the cost to re-serrate the jaw?

Answer:

$15.

So....

I think I'll send the jaws in and have them worked on. There are not too many vises you can buy for $15 plus shipping. :)

I've had my Kingfisher for almost 4 years now and I haven't had one bit of problems with the jaws. I'm talking the regular set on t the midge, I was gonna get them and then said what the heck I'm tying fine why bother.

have never heard of their jaws going

Fatman

I own the Dynaking--King Fisher vise. Hardly their top of the line. I got it as a gift, my first vise. It is 2 1/2 yrs old and I have tied well over 12,000 flies on it. From 2/0 Alaskan pike flies to articulated streamers to #24 nymphs and dries for Colorado tailwaters. I could not be happier with it. While the grooves inside the jaws seemed to have smoothed somwhat, the vise continues to hold like the day I got it. Thank you Dyna-king. The jaws are infinitely adjustable thanks to a screw down hozel. If my #20 slips I can simply remove the hook, turn the adjustment ever so slight and re install the hook. There, tight as a tick!! :headbang:

I'm concidering a kingfisher for my trout flies. I've had their FC Enhanced for several years for tying bass flies and never had a problem at all with the jaws slipping, if they are adjusted properly. Do you guys with kingfishers use the pedistal or c-clamp with your vise?

I'm betting the heat treat on mine is bad. The metal is pretty soft compared to my other two vises. I've adjusted the jaws from loose to so tight you can't hardly work the cam and the hooks would slip.

The new vise I bought cost less and and there is a world of difference in the jaws ability to hold hooks. The cam closes so easy you'd swear you were not closing anything.

I guess it does tick me off a bit that their "life time warranty" doesn't include the jaws, nor does the partial warranty on the jaws.

Live and learn.

Their site does claim the jaws are the same on all new models.

Had to send the jaws for my new baracuda back for this issue. Since it was new they did it for free.

I'm still not convinced it holds as well as my 15 year old Professional. I've tied thousands of trout files with that vise.

One other thing to check would be the notches themselves. I thought mine were going bad until a friend looked at them and found they had glue in them. I coat all the Zebra midges I tie with Loc-Tite super glue and I guess a couple times I may have gotten a little "carried away" with putting the glue on. :hyst: :help:

Mike

One other thing to check would be the notches themselves. I thought mine were going bad until a friend looked at them and found they had glue in them. I coat all the Zebra midges I tie with Loc-Tite super glue and I guess a couple times I may have gotten a little "carried away" with putting the glue on. :hyst: :help:

Mike

These are bad as in flat. In fact you can see they were not square as the wear is not even. Also I noticed the back of the jaws close before the front. In the top of the jaws are dents from the hooks meaning the hooks are harder than the jaws.

My new vise is a low cost vise that I bought until I figured out what I wanted to do with the Dyna King. The jaws on it hold 100 times better with way, way less effort on the cam. My very first vise I ever bought was a $10 Cabelas vise and I'd have to say the two are pretty equal, but it cam with three sets of jaws.

My new vise cost $50 less than the Dyna King, is a rotary, and came with both the clamp and a base. The jaws are made of hardened tool steel...world of difference!