Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dvs

Knotted Biot Technique.

Hello,

I was struggling to find a way to tie biots into legs rather then buying them, I tried a few techniques with little sucess. I found this techinque usings a metal rod and a bodkin, i feel it works really well. I will post the step by step pictures (I have larger ones if you feel these are to small let me know) I also have a PDF booklet of these steps that I will post. B)

This is my 1st post I hope it helps someone out there! feel free to critique!

-Clint

post-19089-1234731188_thumb.jpg

post-19089-1234731214_thumb.jpg

post-19089-1234731228_thumb.jpg

post-19089-1234731240_thumb.jpg

post-19089-1234731247_thumb.jpg

post-19089-1234731253_thumb.jpg

post-19089-1234731260_thumb.jpg

post-19089-1234731266_thumb.jpg

post-19089-1234731275_thumb.jpg

post-19089-1234731280_thumb.jpg

post-19089-1234731287_thumb.jpg

post-19089-1234731293_thumb.jpg

There is an extra small latch-rug knot type tool that can do this easier. After wrapping around it's shaft you catch the tip of the biot in the hook and pull it through. I found one under the name of a hopper leg tool on ebay and have forgotten where i found my others. There seems to be several sizes and the smaller the better.

I also have found that letting the biots sit in a damp paper towel (kept in small zip-lock bag) for a day or two makes them easier to work with.

Hey thats a great idea too!

atleast with this method pretty much anyone can get the job done without buying any more tools.

-Clint

That is a great help, just asked the local shop tier how he does it and just gave me a quick run through, so this helps a lot

I actually picked up a small latch hook as DrVette mentioned in an above comment, and I have to admit it does work really well but if you can't find one small enough or dont want to spend the money - then this is an effective techniquie.

-Clint

Being naturally lazy, I opt for another approach.

You can wrap the biot around the tip of very slightly opened fine tipped forceps, then grab the end with the forceps and pull through.

One tool, one step.

I'll have to give that a try - sounds easy enough - very similar to the latch hook I think...

-Clint

Thank you for this tip your step by step makes it look easy

I tie a lot of hoppers and I think these legs will look better than phesant tail fibres

thanks again

jim