Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
monkey93

foam frogs

saw a few foam frogs and decided i had to make a few since i have never tried tying them before so i was wondering what every ones favorite foam frog is and maybe a pic of it

ya i saw the top one and liked it, but i have to order the cutter for the bodies, i tried one cutting by hand and it turned out ok,but could be better

well heres my first attemp, not the best but it should catch fish.............any suggestions on what i should change

post-18856-1234819905_thumb.jpg

monkey.......shoot me a pm with your addy and I'll stamp out a couple using the foam cutter for you to try (i have the medium size)

save yourself some money and use the templates from here

http://www.onlineflytyer.com/article_foamfrogs.asp

looks like a great simple pattern. I was wondering what size hooks work the best with these templates, for the large, medium and mini templates. it doesn't really specify the hook size to use with the templates.

thx's

Mike

To tie this pattern, The STP® Frog Foam Body in three sizes: 2, 6 and 10 (using Tiemco® 8089 or equivalent hooks)

I know the TMC hooks are sized accordingly, but the Daiichi stinger hooks are different sizes and I'm not exactlly clear which ones would fit the templates

monkey.......shoot me a pm with your addy and I'll stamp out a couple using the foam cutter for you to try (i have the medium size)

hey thanks for the offer, but im thinkin about getting a stamp next time im in town i think there is a few at the shop so ill save you the time

I tied up a few of the STP frogs a couple years ago. I think Norman pointed me to the template. Thanks Norm. I found I didn't like fishing them. They always wanted to land bottom up. Any remedy for this? The frogs didn't go to waste though. My wife and daughters thought they were "cute", and promptly stole all of them from my fly box. I think there is still one stuck in my oldest's cork board in her room.