Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

TroutBum's June 2005 Rocky Mountain

Because the wife and I bought the house in NC, I skipped my annual trip out west this year. I have been feeling that something was missing when it occured to me that I didn't get my Montana fix.

So, I decided that I wasn't going to let that happen again. After meeting Ralf, John and Smallie so far this year, I thought it would be cool if we could get a group together for a gathering in the Rockies. My proposal is to meet in Salt Lake City (it is a hub and fares are cheaper) and work our way through Utah's Provo and Green Rivers then into Wyoming and ending up in West Yellowstone which is the center of the fly fishing universe. On the return trip we could hit my favorite place, The Henry's Fork.

I've done this before, and it is possible to hit more blue ribbon trout rivers in one week than you thought possible. There are camping facilities all over the place and I could get a time-share condo if only a few of us go.

I picked June 2005 because it will give you time to think about and plan for it. Plus, June is a very good time (pre-runoff / Salmon and Stonefly hatches) the weather may be a little unpredictable, but we ccould live with that.

So, who want to go? I'm going anyway, all company is welcome.

TB. that sounds like a deam trip to me if the funds are right I would like to give that one a try.

thumbsup.gif

OSD.

I'd love to have you come along Bob. There's a lot of time left, just keep it in mind.

man, i'd love to get out west with yall..... if things work out for me soon maybe I will be able to make it. sounds fun.

steve

John,

I'm not sure about campsite fees but I guess they're less than $20 per nite to pitch a tent. If six or eight or less people go I can get a time-share condo for a week for $100. There are 2 time share resorts near W. Yellowstone, one is in Big Sky that I've stayed in a couple of years ago.

I thought we could split the rental of a mini-van, the travel club I belong to usually gets pretty good unlimited mileage weekly rates. Figure $50 to $100 for the rental and gas per guy. A Montana license for 5 days is $40, I think. A Yellowstone license is $10 for ten days and an Idaho license is $8 a day last time I checked.

Your food, well that is entirely up to you. There are a couple of places in W. Yellowstone that are reasonable, Bullwinkle's has real good food at a reasonable price. But if we use a time-share we could cook our own. Figure a couple of thousand dollars for beer. tongue.gif

If we plan on a saturday to saturday stay, I think you could get by on $300 not counting airfare. I can fly round trip from Tampa to Salt Lake on Southwest for about $300. I checked the SWA web site, and you can fly out of Detroit for about the same.

i'm going to tentatively say i'm in, barring me getting a job that won't let me take vacation during that time. sounds like a good time! i haven't met many people on this board, but in chatting with yall, you sound like some good people (fun too, not those snooty people).

steve

Any good Bass fishing in the area? laugh.gif

Doesn't sound incredibly expensive I will have to wait and see how the finances are then, I am interested in going.

Yes Will there are Bass there, but the locals use them for fertilizer. devil2.gif

TB

I will have to see a year is a long way but could be a go.Also for those interested my brother lives in Livingston,MT and him my other brother and his inlaws went last summer.They use same guide every year, stay in cabins in West Yellowstone.Icould find out rates and everythingBut i believe for a week split came out to Around100 big ones minus airfare.Iam planning on a week out there next summer for a week so any info needed let me know and i could propally come up with it.

tt

Sign in to follow this