Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
troutninja

Big Long Streamer Hooks

I'm looking for suggestions on huge streamer hooks for some large baitfish patterns. Currently the longest hooks I own are the DA2370 3x-heavy, 7X long. I'm actually looking to go bigger and longer. I like this particular hook, but can't seem to find it in the 2/0-4/0 size range. Any recommendations are appreciated? The longer the better! :blink:

Thank you!

You've found what are probably the longest hooks - the Partridge CS15 Carrie Stevens streamer hook. They're available in a number of sizes up to 2/0 and are a well made hook. I've used them for a number of bass streamers.

TxEngr

Hey TroutNinja, I use the Partridge Carrie Stevens 10XL streamer hooks, the trouble is they are not making them anymore. You are probably going to have to go tube fly or tandems to get the long length.

Cheers, Futzer.

Thanks, guys. You're right, Futzer, I guess I'll have to look into tube flies. Just not looking forward to having to buy the tools and all new cone heads and such. (actually I secretly am!!! :devil: shhhh, don't tell) Such is my life as a fly tier, "spend $1,000 to tie $100 worth of flies." :D

thanks, D5. I don't ever need justification to make a trip to the fly shop, but I'll definitely file that one away for when my wife starts asking questions. I'll just tell her "I'm making a shopping trip to the fly shop to save us money". :headbang: :D

You dont necessarily need new tools or cones. You can take a drill bit to the cone and make it larger. I have seen guys secure a drill bit in their vise and then rotate the cone onto it. Also, if you read the hatches article on the Letumgo Minnow, Letumgo has an ingenious way of securing tubes on the vise by cutting off the point and the eye of a hook. Secure the hook in your vise, put a piece of junction tubing over the hook and then slide your tube over the hook and secure it with the junction tubing.

Dang Rocky, Thanks, I am doing my happy dance. I'll let John know you are a great marketing director. I do a big rabbit strip Matuka for fall Brownies on the Green and am down to my last couple Partridges. Though I was planning on getting some tube tying stuff to try it.

Cheers, Jeff

www.anglersworkshop.com

I just ordered some 2/0 and size 2 Carrie Stevens 10x hooks from them.

Haven't gotten them yet.

8.60$ for a ten pack.