Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MbCarp

Cats on the Fly

Got distracted from the Carp fishing long enough to tie into some local Channel Cats:)))

a 35.5"

user posted image

and a 38"

user posted image

now where did I put my bamboo creek rods??smile.gif))) I forget

Awesome!

Those are some big cats. I actually caught my first catfish on a fly the other day(a small one) and would love to tangle with a few of them big boys.

Hope this helps- my experience with the Cats is very limited so far. I,m fishing a large dam/control structure tailwater fishery, the Cats here like to sit in the heavy cuurent flows where they can find a hole and ambush/harass/forage for their food of choice- Goldeye( a mid to top water inhabitant). The pattern I was having sucess with is a Clouser (size 1/0 salmon hooks)tied VERY sparse in Goldeye colours,fished on a clear intermediate sink line on a dead drift with a little lift/twitch when the pattern pulls down into a hole( trying to imitate a wounded/ailing/fluttering Goldeye) Imitating the local baitfish Clouser style in/along/over current breaks and obvious holes may be a place to start.

Other patterns that have proven successfull for others locally-

Purple Crystal Chenille bodied Yellow Wooly Bugger- the water gets very turbid here at times- so that colour combo may be a visibility help.

I,ve had a couple of Cats on this version( more crawdad like)

user posted image

but as mentioned the Clouser has been the most productive by far to date - on the night the 35.5" was taken -I had two more at 35 and one at around 26/27". The 38" fell to the Clouser/drift approach early yesterday morning( within an hour of sun up)- they seem to have patterns of movement- coming in early and late to feed on the Goldeye which inhabit the heavier current water.. Another appraoch that has produced a couple of Cats is using smaller flies to find the Goldeye and then switching to the Clouser and fishing under the Goldeye looking for the prowling Cats. Hope all that helps:))))

smile.gif Steel were you offering to donate a bigger net?smile.gif)

a 34" taken a few days ago

user posted image

you can see a bit of the fishery in the background

a 35" with my net guy buddy Fred

user posted image

i know i know fish tales but.... these fish are fairly easily controllable on a 10 ft 9 wt despite the fact there are some seriously heavy currents at play- my fishing partner Kim and I have had fish on that were simply tooooooooooooooo much:)))))- not enough rod/backing etc < stunned look into the backing and gone!!!!

sooooooooo!!!!!! a 14 ft 10 wt Spey rod has been acquired - will keep you posted:)))))))) now where are those manitoba salmon:)

well took out the Spey rod last night and what fun....smile.gif))

a 37" cat

user posted image

user posted image

hope the salmon/steelhead folks dont get upset at my sacralige:)))))

Must have been quite the fight.. i would love to hook into a few of those, nice pic's and thanks for the info.. thumbsup.gif

Nick - you must have cats down your way?smile.gif)))))

Vices- YVW:) and yep they do put a fight - though I think big carp are feistier:)) the cats will run/"bulldog" down and sit in a current hole /big head shakes etc- but not the sheer steam train power of the big carp.

things are slowing down a bit as the cats spawn( so the local pro,s tell me) so I may have to Spey cast for the carp now on my new carp honey hole:))) and try them again when the big gals move back in a week or so.

keep you posted:)

I live on a small lake, around 200 acres, that is on average 16 ft. There is a small "dam" that holds very large carp, bass, cats, panfish, and who knows what else in the pool below, any tips for fishing for cats or carp???