Fly Tying
iso18

how good of a tyer r u really and how do you feel about your tying whe

WHAT KIND OF TYER DO U CONSIDER YOURSELF 2B  

596 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

if I am having a bad day I will tie easy stuff that I know I can't screw up and if a good day I will get cocky and try something above my level and get frustrated. But I keep at it till I get it right

i have taken time off from tying so every visit to the tying bench is an adventure.. trying to relearn things and see what the hands will still let me do.. i used to be pretty decent a tyer.. my friends caught fish with my flies. (more than i did.. but thats fishing skill which is another story)..

they were happy with them.. now iam just trying to get back behind the bench and spin up some thing nice..

I went with Crappy.....have tied a bunch of different stuff in the past year, and for the past month have jumped in a bunch of swaps to push myself to become better. so far I have had good feed back both from the swaps and a few locals that have seen my stuff. I plan to keep at the swaps untill they run me off.

Darrin

I just finished reading ak bests advanced tying techniques again. it is amazing the little things he does that when you think about your own tying you go oh yeah, never thought about that.

marc

I've yet to find a pattern I can't tie properly, but at the same time there are days when a wooly booger will give me fits.

I went with "A decent enough tyer to catch fish and finding yourself critiquing your work and half the time thinking there is room for improvement"...but I have to wonder how others would rate our abilities in a blind test. I could be greatly over-confident in my skills, or riffleriversteelheadslayer may be over-humble about his.

Interesting point... I went with the decent enough tuer to catch fish (well sometimes)...

Tying flies ain't kids business, let me tell you. First you have to choose the right hook to use. You search and search for hours. After you find it, that other fly you have been thinking of takes over. You place the hook in a safe place on your flytying desk, just to lost it later between some piles of dubbing material and pheasant feathers.

You start to search another hook for that magnificent fly what came to your mind. You dont quite find the right one, so you take your car and drive to a local flyfishing shop. When the guy working there asks you what you are looking for, you explain him the idea of that magnificent fly, what fish you will catch , and where to fish using it. You end up using your wifes birthday present money for some excellent new larva material, and forget to buy those hooks for the fly. You drive home, and just before you get there you decide to visit travelling agent, who just happens to sell tickets to New Zealand on sale. You buy the tickets and pay them from your wifes christmas present money.

When you actually get home, your wife is raging mad spending all that money, you forgot the hooks, it is too late to tie anymore and you find out you cant really make it to New Zealand because you have to go to work the next day.

This is how I feel about my tying.

:hyst:

Who would have knew,that after 2+ years have passed,this poll is still going strong.Gotta love the new techniques and trneds in the sport of fly tying.

shane

We all only live once, flies that take little time to make and catch fish on the river are what is important.

Every once and a while making a more complicated fly out of Fly Tyer magazine is fun too but not the principle reason to tye.

My best preforming salmon fly when done in batches of 20, take less then a Simpsons episode to tye.

452c263a.jpg

Jim

where I fall short and where I really respect others is the ability to tie fly after fly that are the same in every way. I tie a dozen and 8 of them are pretty different. 12 for 12 fish well but my mind tends to wander and I work in different takes on the same thing.

Should have a novice catagory! I am learning how to tie, always trying to learn and try different things, I just tied a "NailBiter" Spoon fly and am happy with the results, but could pick it apart for mistakes. Also learning dubbing, wow!

I have a number of flies, that are obvious a newbie tied them! Not to mention the quizical looks checking out fingernail polish and fake nails at the store!

I picked decent enough but I am always looking for a way to improve. I think that comes from being an artist way before I started tying flies. I used to step back for 10 minutes at a time and just look at my art work to try and figure out if there was anything else i needed to re-work, add, or take out. I could do the same thing with my flies but I want to go and fish to badly to really take the time to make them look perfect. I was thinking about entering some contests but with a one year old, a wife, a house that constently is destroyed by the tornado I call my son, and work, I just don't know if I will have the time to actually produce something worth sending into a competition. Oh well, I just like catching fish on something that I have tied myself. Nothing better than that In the world of fishing.

My flys catch fish but im a long way from a good tier.I really enjoy looking at the flys you guys tie, But if mine will catch fish im pretty happy.

Steve

Where is the option where I think I am ok, but don't know if any of my flies actually catch anything. I the more than I fish:(

Takes me twenty minutes to tie a 5 minute fly! I spend Thirty minutes tying a muddler then catch a hundred bream and bass on a chernobyl ant (white over electric blue). I haven't been tying very long and find alot of the patterns challenging, wish folks would let us know if it's one of their go to patterns so I could get better focus. I wonder if some patterns have ever gotten wet. But I sure am having fun!