Fly Tying
iso18

how good of a tyer r u really and how do you feel about your tying whe

WHAT KIND OF TYER DO U CONSIDER YOURSELF 2B  

596 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't feel that there is anything I can't tie, but occassionally I have "bad hand days" Cheers, Futzer.

My only setback Is not having the right materials sometimes

I'm probably over-critical so I have to keep reminding myself that flies tend to attract fish (hopefully) and fisherman. Alot of the time the two are completely different.

A good example: I was having a conversation yesterday at a local fly shop about sowbugs and whether there was an advantage to wrap soft hackles on them. The owner of the shop indicated the hackled ones sold better but didn't seem to catch more or bigger fish. Maybe that's a local water result, or not.

LET THE FISH DECIDE. the flies i tie are to catch fish not to impress and my catch rate isnt to bad.My fishing buddies tie nicer looking flies but their catch rate isnt any better so i say dont b to critical of your flies the fish will do that for you. LOL

I'm good enough to wish that I had a magnifying glass and perfect light, so that I can do better flies when I'm gonna take pictures for the web.

I'm not good enough to be satisfied with my flies when I take pictures of them with macro, and look at the result.

If I'm unhappy with the result, Ill just try again. If I'm happy with the result, I'll try to make it even better. If I think that I made the perfect fly, I'll reconsider what's perfect, and start all over with a fly that I'm not happy with.

Agree with these lines above. I'm fairly new to tying and the flies I tie catch fish. However, upon close and sometimes not so close inspection, I see lots of things that I wish *looked* better.

I think the key for me is to maintain my focus and attention to detail. When I do that, my flies look their best (at my talent level) and I find I enjoy myself more because I'm not thinking about anything else but what I'm doing.

I picked decent enough. I've got plenty of fish on my ties, so I figure I have to have some ability.

If I could ever get pheasant tail legs to lie correctly on a hopper pattern, I might move myself up a slot. :wallbash:

Damn those little Malaysian ladies that make me feel bad about myself!

I have been fly fishing once. I started tying two weeks ago and I tie most every day so I don't have a clue if my flys will catch any fish but I think that they would. I love the art of tying I don't follow a lot of patterns. I look at pictures of flys and I try to recreate it but with my own twist (sometime just because I don't have what they used).

Hi,

I'd hope that im a good tyer.

You guys can see for yourself, please check out my Fly Tying videos just click on my Signature.

All the best and Tight Lines,

~David

was just wondering,because i am constantly critquing my flies when i try new techniques and often get frustrated with the whole outcome.but then come tommorrow,i will be right back at it with a different attitude trying to improve on my shortcomings.

shane

I've been tying for about 40 years and sometimes feel the same way. But that's being too hard on oneself. I remember about 15 years ago I decided to send one of my flies to AK Best. He had a tying contest. Before digital cameras were cheap. Had to send the fly in. Anyway, I forgot all about it. Couple weeks later I received a certificate for first place that week

Moral of the story is: you're probably a better tier than you think. Only have to be able to fool the fish

You should enter my contest. Tie a Blue Winged Olive Dun pattern and send photo to me: [email protected]

Only have to beat a couple others so far

Check them out at : flyfishing.blogspot.com

was just wondering,because i am constantly critquing my flies when i try new techniques and often get frustrated with the whole outcome.but then come tommorrow,i will be right back at it with a different attitude trying to improve on my shortcomings.

shane

I've been tying for about 40 years and sometimes feel the same way. But that's being too hard on oneself. I remember about 15 years ago I decided to send one of my flies to AK Best. He had a tying contest. Before digital cameras were cheap. Had to send the fly in. Anyway, I forgot all about it. Couple weeks later I received a certificate for first place that week

Moral of the story is: you're probably a better tier than you think. Only have to be able to fool the fish

You should enter my contest. Tie a Blue Winged Olive Dun pattern and send photo to me: [email protected]

Only have to beat a couple others so far

Check them out at : flyfishing.blogspot.com

Dude your blog is, well :unsure: , a bit lacking in content. If your going to promote something like that on here at least put something in there that can be useful or at the very least a fun read.

I checked that I'm just happy fooling fish...I don't tye as much as I did in previous years, we seem to be caught up in life and raising kids, I still enjoy tying very much just don't get to spend the time at the bench anymore...

I tyed for yrs commercially and l have been learning all these yrs and continue to learn!

My abilities as a tier I chose to stay humble about them!

My goal before I go home to Jesus, is to be as good as my Mentors, you all know who you are too!

Blessings,