Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dryfly purist

Daddy Long Legs experiment

This was just an experiment were i tried to make a Daddy Long Legs with a woven body and also to play around with pics :D

The legs is far to stiff but every once in a while i make some flies just to experiment with materials to see if things works.

In this case i thought it became quite nice to look at :D

Terje!

Daddylonglegs.jpg

Daddylonglegsb-1.jpg

Beautiful body on that fly Terje! Very cool looking pattern.

I've never fished an adult cranefly before.

Very nice, Terje! We call them Crane flies here, Daddy longlegs is a spider here too. I really like your fureled abdomen and coq de leon wings.

Thank you, Futzer.

Beautiful body on that fly Terje! Very cool looking pattern.

I've never fished an adult cranefly before.

Thanks Old Hat :D

Same here, never fished with Daddy Long Legs :D

Terje!

Very nice, Terje! We call them Crane flies here, Daddy longlegs is a spider here too. I really like your fureled abdomen and coq de leon wings.

Thank you, Futzer.

Thanks Futzer :D In Norway we call them Daddy Long Legs.

Cranefly was new to me, so i learned something today as well :D

Thanks!

Terje!

Great tie.

Crane flies seem to be a bit problematic to create artificials of; there's just no getting around the prominent legs.

Great tie.

Crane flies seem to be a bit problematic to create artificials of; there's just no getting around the prominent legs.

Thanks redietz :D

One can always use micro rubber legs in the cranefly. Micro rubber legs are soft an will make it much easier to hook the trout.

Terje!

Daddy-1.jpg

One can always use micro rubber legs in the cranefly. Micro rubber legs are soft an will make it much easier to hook the trout.

I've done that. I have to admit that it works, but I don't like the way it looks -- probably personal prejudice against fishing flies that look like they were intended for warmwater fish over trout. (It looks very much like the rubber spiders commonly used for bluegills over here.)

Nice Fly. Looks like a Mosquito Hawk, which after doing a Google Search is a Crane Fly. Looks like I learned something today as well. Always a good thing.

Have you tried Mono Filament for the legs?

Nice Fly. Looks like a Mosquito Hawk, which after doing a Google Search is a Crane Fly. Looks like I learned something today as well. Always a good thing.

Have you tried Mono Filament for the legs?

Thanks rich5665 :)

I have never tried monofilament because i`m afraid that it will be a bit to stiff and make the hooking abilities difficult.

Terje!

Daddy Long Legs / Crane flies are my favorite summer flies. They are big, fat beasts and oh so out of place on the water :)

Only thing which comes close are the Bibios in May.

For the legs I use knotted pheasant tail, nothing beats it in appereance and mobility.

tiplice.jpg

Daddy Long Legs / Crane flies are my favorite summer flies. They are big, fat beasts and oh so out of place on the water :)

Only thing which comes close are the Bibios in May.

For the legs I use knotted pheasant tail, nothing beats it in appereance and mobility.

tiplice.jpg

I agree.