Fly Tying
lykos33

antron?

Ok, I see all kinds of recipes with "antron" listed, problem is I can't find antron yarn at any of the local places. Is there another name for it or what? I have a nice lady who owns a yarn and knitting shop who will try to get some for me if I can give her a name or supplier.Thanks for your help..Murray

Murray

The flytying suppliers usually call it Antron yarn. The craft houses and yarn shops may call it Sparkle Yarn or Trilobal yarn. Also be on the lookout for Aunt Lydia's yarn. It was originally used to make wall-to-wall carpetting so your cheapest source might be at a rug making establishment.

Thanks Rockworm, I'll have something to give her to go on now...I really appreciate the help..Murray

lykos,

"Antron" and "antron yarn"...when referenced in fly recipes...are different products.

The former consists solely of highly reflective nylon fibers. Antron is commonly used for parachute posts, spinner wings, and underwings on down-winged flies. It may also be chopped and blended with natural and synthetic dubbing. Antron, Z-lon, Darlon, zelon, and Permatron are similar products with similar applications...but different names. Though some craft stores may offer it, I've only sourced it through fly shops.

The latter is a yarn with antron fibers added. It benefits from the added brilliance of antron, but is not what you'd call highy reflective. Good for bodies on wets & streamers. Sometimes sold as "Sparkle Yarn" at craft stores.