Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
EHLawyer

Beginners Deceiver

I am interested for now in making teasers for surf casting.....Been working on deceivers, and this is my 3rd effort...........I think they are getting better, but appreciate all constructive criticism.

Thanks.

post-19966-1235443358_thumb.jpg

Epoxie or several more coats head cement should finish it off. Eyes would be nice, but either way finish off the head and you got it.

Great color combo with just enough flash. Very nice work.

IMO, the bucktail collar is just a bit more thick than I prefer. This may work great for casting into the surf zone, but I like transluscence.

I appreciate all the comments. I was in the process of finishing the add, by adding eyes..........but thought it looked so nice, I was anxious to show it off (as the newest of newcomers). The heavier the better, really, for surfcasting, I think...........

Cool tie, give it some eyes. Keep up the fine work, Cheers, Futzer.

Nice job, that should catch.

Just a heads up on the weight thing though- remember in fly casting that the rod and line do all the work--- the fly just goes along for the ride. (Unlike surf casting where the weight of the lure loads the rod).

Casting heavily weighted flies (like clousers, jiggies half and halfs etc) and wind resistant flies (like poppers or heavily dressed patterns) can be a bit tough.

You can always use an intermediate or sinking line if you need to get a bit deeper.

That said, you shouldn't have any problem throwing your deceiver.

Sent you a PM.

Mark

Mark: Thanks for the PM..........Unfortunately, I am not a fly fisherman........just an old dark side surfcaster......all the flies I'm tying are for teasers.........though I suspect I'll be tempted to try switching over to the light side!

Mark: Thanks for the PM..........Unfortunately, I am not a fly fisherman........just an old dark side surfcaster......all the flies I'm tying are for teasers.........though I suspect I'll be tempted to try switching over to the light side!

Steven, just saw your post on the thread.. I throw plugs too, so i know where you're coming from. A lot of times conditions just aren't right in high surf for the fly rod, but once in awhile it all comes together. I usually have both set up in the truck for throwing plugs and flies.

Don't know if you're familiar with SOL (stripers on line) but it's an excellent site to check out for surf guys. I'm on there too.

And I don't know if you've ever run into a cinderworm "hatch" in the spring early summer (night, low tide on new and full moons over muddy bottoms in the back bays, usually May June and early July) but it can be really frustrating---- one of the few times bass can be really selective. A simple teaser ( red marabou tail, red cenille body, black chenille or peacock herl head on a size 2 hook, overall length 2") chased by a floating needlefish plug or floating red fin or bomber type deal (for casting weight and slow retrieve) thrown to the edges of the swarm can often solve the problem.

I've also used small all white bucktail, or white bunny strip teasers on size 2 hooks, again about 2" long overall, for albacore and bonito when they show up on the North Fork and Montauk and are on rainbait (bay anchovies) in the fall, usually in October. I usually chase it with a hopkins, again just for the weight, but they almost always whack the teaser. Very tough to catch otherwise.

As for other teasers, I just keep them sparse (less wind resistance), usually just bucktail tied in as a tail, and epoxy or Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails over the thread wraps for durability- nothing else. Using teasers really ups you're percentage- it's surprising how many whack it.

Good luck. If you see a beat up red 4 Runner on the beach somewhere, come over and say hi.

Mark