Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Lance Kekel

A trip to Michigan U.P.

In just over a week I'll be heading off to the UP for a week of big woods adventure with the family and a nice dose of fishing thrown in. Starting the trip with an overnight stay in Grayling and quick dose of Trico fishing followed by the remainder of the week exploring the UP from the Soo locks to Copper Harbor. cool.gif

I should get in a trip or 2 of trout fishing while based for 4 nights in Gwinn and to top it off while I was really focused on just enjoying some nice remote fishing I spoke to a shop up there today and it looks like I may just stumble into the HEX up there! headbang.gif Too cool!!

I do have a question for the pike guys here. I'm only going to have one rod with me, a 7pc 8' 4wt with WF4 line and the cabins we're staying in are on a lake with pretty decent pike fishing I'm told. Any ideas for pike flies I can pack that I can still cast with the little rod?? Obviously big mice and such are out of the question. help.gif ?

Your staying in Gwinn? there is some fantastic bluegill oportunities there, I have to try and find out where again. I stumbled upon it last week, if your interested I can find it for you?

John

We're staying on Big Shag Lake, I'm hoping to get my 5 yr old daughter into some gills and maybe some hammer handle size pike there. smile.gif We just got here a kids combo ugly stick/spincast reel, it's actually a pretty nice rig for $20.! I think I may know where horshoe lk is. I used grouse hunt all over that area up till about 2 yrs ago.

If you do much stream fishing make sure you check yourself for wood ticks after returning. (Gwinn is a bad area for them little buggers)

But if you get a chance try the East branch of the Escanaba River off 428

I have caught some nice Brookies there in the past.

OSD.

have fun. we are heading up to brimely (east of the soo) sat. for the week. cant wait. if i can sneak away from the inlaws for a few hours each day (river or not) i will be in heaven

Take a swing by Reed & Green bridge on the Two hearted River and bring the fly rod flyfishenvy. You won't be sorry.

OSD.

Thanks OSD I'll check that out. The guy that owns the cottages we're staying at mentioned that too, he said it's pretty close.

Thanks for the heads up on the ticks. I can deal with them if I know they're there. I run into them alot down here when I turkey hunt in the spring or train dogs late spring early fall.

I'll second that on the reed & green bridge!

I hope the black flies aren't too bad....

thanks for the heads up OSD. i appreciate it.

are the hex starting up up there yet? or are they already past? i thought they were a few weeks behind as far as hatches go down here?

I talked to Northwoods Wilderness Outfitters in Iron Mountain this week and they said they're just now starting up there. the cold snaps and rains have them just as messed up as downstate.

Sign in to follow this