Fly Tying
RJD31

Cheaper alternatives to Mustad, TMC, etc.?

i have been using more Gamakatsu and Grip hooks, they are nice high quality and priced close to the mustad signature.

I'm still looking for some tiny hooks smaller then 28.... futzer must know a source????????

I e-mailed Bill at Togen's about smaller hooks. Here's his reply:

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the email, I'm sorry but I just don't have the time this time of year to get on the message boards.

Our factory only produces hooks to size 24. Size #22 & 24#. They are very expensive for us to purchase. They cost about 2 X more than a size 12 hook. They are hard to control in the hardening process therefore a lot of wastage hence higher costs. On smaller than size 24 I would assume the same or greater wastage plus the demand is not there for any manufacturer to get serious about them. That is why they are so hard to find and very expensive.

Yours Respectfully,

Bill Schievink

Togen Enterprises Ltd.

10963 143A Street

Surrey, B.C.

Canada, V3R 3M2

Tel: 604-763-1009

Tel: 604-585-9355

www.togenenterprises.com

#1 in Customer Satisfaction

I e-mailed Bill at Togen's about smaller hooks. Here's his reply:

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the email, I'm sorry but I just don't have the time this time of year to get on the message boards.

Our factory only produces hooks to size 24. Size #22 & 24#. They are very expensive for us to purchase. They cost about 2 X more than a size 12 hook. They are hard to control in the hardening process therefore a lot of wastage hence higher costs. On smaller than size 24 I would assume the same or greater wastage plus the demand is not there for any manufacturer to get serious about them. That is why they are so hard to find and very expensive.

Yours Respectfully,

Bill Schievink

Togen Enterprises Ltd.

10963 143A Street

Surrey, B.C.

Canada, V3R 3M2

Tel: 604-763-1009

Tel: 604-585-9355

www.togenenterprises.com

#1 in Customer Satisfaction

Thanks Doc for that effort. It is interesting in regards to the additional cost, but makes sense when you think about it. fact is for me, I would never fish a size 32, but I would love to tie them for fun..... so its not critical

All that being said, I checked out his website and he as a lot of interesting things other then hooks and I'm going to make an order once I get done playing with all the cool czech nymph stuff I just got.

Another vote for Togen, I've used the nymph, 3x Streamer, Scud, and a couple others for two seasons, have had no issues with their construction or use.

Dai-Riki at Dan Baileys or Bluequillangler (20% discount) have been my favorite for years.

An added bonus is the great plastic boxes they come in.

Are you suing the Dai-riki hooks. They are advertised at 20% off :thumbsup:

Another vote for Togen...

How shap are the Togen hooks? Do you have to spend time with a fil or hook sharpener before using them? Great prices though 100 hooks for $7.50 or under!

I have been using hooks from Togen's for over two years. I've not had any break in the vise, or on a hookset. My favorite hooks are the scud and emerger hooks. The finish is a little bright (for me) but I've had good catch rates in spite of them being brighter. I did notice on the smaller emerger hooks .... I got some 22's and 24's a year ago and then got a pack of 22's this year and the gape of the hook seemed to be more closed which made me shy away from ordering more. My feeling was a curved hook that small needed a wider gap. I was set to order "a bunch" but in the end changed my mind. The 18's and 20's (emerger hooks) were perfect.

Canadian Llama can't be beat on their Daiichi hooks in the 100 packs.

Good luck,

Kerusso

Give gypsyflyrods a try on e-bay.. have bought hooks from him quite a bit and they are reasonable..Di-riki is what he sells..

FWIW, the cost of the hook is relative.

I've been a big fan of the Mustad Sigs for about five years, after tying commercially and noting the overwhelming response in my customers' success and my own. I still use some of the old Mustad stock I have, but when it's gone, I'll go to the Signature.

Most of my customers bought my flies instead of the bargain flies because of 1) quality of the tie 2) durability (meaning more fish caught before the fly fell apart) and 3) hook-up percentage. The great hook points and small barb of the Signature series far surpassed the old style and was comparable to other brands like TMS and Daiichi. As for falling apart, the quality of tying is one thing, the qualities of the hook is another... I've found (that is, my customers found) that they had no hooks break when a big fish was on, compared to flies they bought from other places touting the use of "high quality TMC hooks." I believe that may be due to high carbon content in the latter, and better "elasticity" of the signature series.

So in a price-based world, what are you really paying for? If you just want to tie less expensive flies, the world's your oyster. But if you want to catch more fish for the least amount of money, you should look at the other variables.

Couple other notes: the Signature series has a wonderful coding system and consistency among various styles and sizes; there certainly are other hooks that are inexpensive that will do very nicely for flies, like Eagle Claw aberdeen hooks for bluegill topwater, and Mosquito hooks, circle hooks, etc. ; also, I've tried the Eagle Claw fly-tying hooks and found that line okay, but inferior to the old Mustad line.

Just my $.02

I have fished a lot in my life and for many years, along with friends who have done the same, and the one problem I have never seen anywhere, anytime is hook breakage. I have noticed that mentioned several times in multiple threads on FTF, but in all my years and those fishing with my friends, I don't recall our ever having a single broken hook, ever.

Ray

I broke a Mustad 34007 (Stainless) hook on a small carp this past year, don't ask me how. :dunno: Never had a problem with any of the 99 other hooks.

Iv'e been using hooks from THE FLY SHOP for quite awhile and have had none break be messed up out of the pack. They are the flyshop brand dont know were there made but are a great deal. wicked sharp and have landed over 10 pound steelhead on their size 14 nymph hook just another option. im new to tying so sorry if my reply is useless. but the cost is lessthan 3 dollars a pack 25

hey socallies, Thanks for the info, just saw the Fly Shops hooks in their recent catalog and was wondering how they were. I'll probably order some.

Togen hooks have worked well. Fair selection of styles also.

+1 for Flyshop hooks especially size 14 and larger. The new 60 degree jig hooks rock!

I know DaiRiki has 50 pack hooks that are reasonably priced. Cabelas used to have a special on certain Tiemco hooks. Buying 2 or more of the same size and style hook saved you some money also. I think it was about 75 cents a pack .. maybe more.

Mike

I am a big diachi fan.I love the 1110 dry and the 1870 swimming nymph/But been looking @jstochard and cabelas,etc.,cant find the 1870's on there hook pages,i hope they r not being discontinued.Does an1 no if the 1870 is gettinh discontinurd?i certainly hope not,i like it 10x better than the 1770.

i know this was a little off sunject vut just had to ask since i hav e been looking for some 1870 swimming nymph hooks.

shane