Fly Tying
RJD31

Cheaper alternatives to Mustad, TMC, etc.?

I have been utilizing Mustad Hooks primarily for the last 15 years in conjunction with a few models from TMC, but with the recent move to Signature by Mustad which translates to more money as well as TMC already being relatively expensive would like an alternative. The Classic Hooks from Mustad are still available from some sources, but would ultimately like to try something else. It seems that Togen might be a viable option taking in consideration their price as well as offering a reasonable selection of models. The only complaints from forums seems to be that their finish is a little lighter than other companies, and their streamer hooks in particular are lacking in quality. What are your impressions of the overall quality in comparison to Mustad/TMC from the perspectives of tying and fishing? I need to replenish my supplies, and would appreciate input whether they are worth a try. Thanks.

Ron

i use Togen hooks and find they are a little less quality that Mustad Signature but not enough to notice...and I'm sure the fish won't notice. For the money they are the best value right now. With the strength of the American Dollar, you can't go wrong. Togen often has may listings on eBay so check there too.

I agree with you that Mustad and TMC are getting too costly and will now always use an alternative.

Opinions will vary about hooks & what they're worth. I used to buy the least expensive hooks I could find. I've changed my opinion about that, and although I still use some inexpensive hooks for some flies, I try to get the best hooks I can now. I use a lot of Gamakatsu & Owner hooks for bass & saltwater, and they're expensive.

Togen's is one source, I would also try Dan Bailey's for their Dai Riki hooks. Not as expensive as TMC, and likely a bit better than Togen's. If you look on Ebay much, they're usually listed quite often there too. Eagle Claw hooks are also listed often, and usually much less expensive than other brands. You just have to spend some time looking around.

Depending on what types of flies you're tying, you may want to consider some non-fly hooks too. There are many styles of hooks that work great as fly hooks, but are not sold as such. You just have to be open minded about buying them! :rolleyes:

I'll second the vote for Dai-riki. Same hook styles like all the others, lower price. The last option that I almost hear no one talk about is Targus, all the same models as Tiemco, cheaper price. The last one I'll bring up is Daiichi, been using them for years and that's all I use any more unless they don't make the style or I get a request for a specific hook.

I just picked up my first pack of Hook and Hackle's store brand. Tiemco is still "my brand" but I figured I'd give em a try to see what they're like. So far, they're nice. The finish is a bit shinier than I'm used to but the quality of the hook seems to be good. Again, this is my first pack, but so far I like them.

I've been looking around too, and was disappointed when Mustad said they were dropping their "standard" hooks. Now that I have actually bought some of the NEW signature hooks, it seems they are really only a little more expensive than what we were paying for the standard Mustads- I just bought some from JStockard that were under $6 per fifty, and the comparable classics I used to buy were about $11 per hundred. Personally, I could not buy a thousand Togen hooks to get the discount price unless I was sure I loved them. Hooks are just getting expensive, period, and the days when we could get a hundred pack of good quality hooks for five bucks are long gone.

In my life, Daiichi, Gamakatsu, Owner, and Tiemco are just WAY stupid expensive. I've used some Cabela's house brand hooks and they are good, but not cheap. Sometimes Jann's Netcraft has some pretty good prices on hooks. It seems they are about the cheapest around for Mustad 3366's, and I REALLY hope Mustad does not discontinue that hook model. Last time I looked, they were still around $4 per hundred for most sizes. Compare that to $3.50 per 50 at Feather-Craft!! Got to look around. The pain in the butt is when you find what you want at a good price but then have to figure in shipping and handling costs. You have to buy a lot of them or make a group purchase to offset the shipping charge. Like Tidewater said, you need to shop around.

Iv'e been using hooks from THE FLY SHOP for quite awhile and have had none break be messed up out of the pack. They are the flyshop brand dont know were there made but are a great deal. wicked sharp and have landed over 10 pound steelhead on their size 14 nymph hook just another option. im new to tying so sorry if my reply is useless. but the cost is lessthan 3 dollars a pack 25

Hi Ron, I use Tiemco's, and for some patterns, Gamakatsu's. I trust them and they have never broken, bent, or straightened. Cheers, Futzer.

Dai-Riki at Dan Baileys or Bluequillangler (20% discount) have been my favorite for years.

An added bonus is the great plastic boxes they come in.

Iv'e been using hooks from THE FLY SHOP for quite awhile and have had none break be messed up out of the pack. They are the flyshop brand dont know were there made but are a great deal. wicked sharp and have landed over 10 pound steelhead on their size 14 nymph hook just another option. im new to tying so sorry if my reply is useless. but the cost is lessthan 3 dollars a pack 25

hey socallies, Thanks for the info, just saw the Fly Shops hooks in their recent catalog and was wondering how they were. I'll probably order some.

Togen hooks have worked well. Fair selection of styles also.

i dont mind paying a little bit more for the mustad hook IF as the claim they are chemically sharpened, smaller barb, more proportioally consistant and have better closed eyes

you could always use the house brands from various fly shops, eagle claw, togen, saber, targus etc etc etc. theyre made in the same asian factory as the big mane brands.