Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Nicolas Goles

Some of my beginner flies

Not too bad! Other than the fly in the second picture, which looks to be a Humpy(?) or similar dry fly, they don't look bad at all! The second fly needs some work, as the proportions look to be a bit off. Shorten the wings & get the body straight! Hard to tell from pictures sometimes, but it may be a little over hackled too. Fix those things & I believe you got it! :)

The rubber legs are a minor thing, they can be trimmed anytime!

One other thing, on that second fly, see the fine hair like fibers on the body. Looks like underfur left in the hair, that should be removed prior to tying in the elk hair. Get yourself a fine toothed comb, which works great for removing that fuzz. That will make the hair easier to work with & makes the fly look much better too!

Most all natural hairs & fur have some amounts of underfur, sometimes it's fine to use it, especially with dubbings, but not good for deer, elk or similar hair bodies & wings.

I'm looking forward to seeing some more of your work! :headbang:

You are doing fine Nicholas, just keep practicing. Working with hair can be challenging, so don't get frustrated.

Cheers, Futzer.

Hey guys, thanks for the support :) . Yeah, hair is not easy... I actually had a better humpy, that one turned out pretty bad : ) , I'll post pictures of my progress.

I really like it here, you guys give really good advice.

Sometimes I feel frustrated on my tying though... some ppl is reaaaally good.

according to what i can tell, being kind of new myself, is they look really good. i had a hard time with the head of the flies and keeping them small and not crowding the eye, but looks like you got that figured out. wish i could get my wife to understand still having a hard time with the wooly bugger.

Hey guys, thanks for the support :) . Yeah, hair is not easy... I actually had a better humpy, that one turned out pretty bad : ) , I'll post pictures of my progress.

I really like it here, you guys give really good advice.

Sometimes I feel frustrated on my tying though... some ppl is reaaaally good.

One thing you need to do to overcome your frustration is not compare yourself (your tying) to others, especially the tyers on here.

Just tie at your own pace and then go catch fish with um.

I don't have one fly in the database here because, well, My flies are for fish eyes only.