Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Tybugs1

Mountain Goats

I was able to sneak away for a little bit and go for a drive. It was uneventful for most of the trip but did happen on to some awesome scenery and a cute little goat. He let me take a bunch of photo's. The first 8 or so were over exposed for a total white out effect :) It was Goat fever :) It finally hit me I needed to check my settings. It was one of my finer moments. :) Anyone ever do this?

Here are a few after I collected my brains and worked on my settings. Hope you enjoy and comments are always welcomed. Still learning and still wanting to know more.

DSC_1921f1crsmall.jpg

DSC_1929f1crsmall.jpg

DSC_1939f1crsmall.jpg

DSC_1949f1crsmall.jpg

DSC_1976f1crsmall.jpg

Hope you enjoy :)

Great shots Lynn! I didn't know you could get close enough to those critters to get pictures without strapping on an oxygen mask and hiring a Sherpa; the only ones I've seen have been so far up they were just white specks on the mountain. Glad you checked your settings. Yeah, I've also learned the hard way to pay closer attention. I shot a bunch of ice earlier this winter with the exposure compensation set heavily into the minus. Must have done it accidentally, which isn't easy to do on a 5D. Again, great pictures.

Great series Lynn, well captured!

Glad you checked and adjusted your settings, been there :)

Great shots Lynn! I didn't know you could get close enough to those critters to get pictures without strapping on an oxygen mask and hiring a Sherpa; the only ones I've seen have been so far up they were just white specks on the mountain. Glad you checked your settings. Yeah, I've also learned the hard way to pay closer attention. I shot a bunch of ice earlier this winter with the exposure compensation set heavily into the minus. Must have done it accidentally, which isn't easy to do on a 5D. Again, great pictures.

Hi All

I didnt expect to see any let alone get close :) I did have several Sherpa's lol ok I really didnt just got lucky!

I do appreciate all the awesome comments. I'm trying really hard to get the hang of all this tech stuff. I have two brothers that are artists. Can draw, paint anything they want. I couldnt draw a good stick figure if my life depended on it :wallbash: My talent came in form of putting a leather ball in a basket and catching fish :)

So the comments mean alot believe me :)

Again, I appreciate the comments and if you see anything I can improve on or make suggestions feel free.

Brian---I couldnt help but think how many flies the goat could make :) :)

Lynn, it's been my experience that the best way to deal with all the tech stuff is to keep it as simple as you can and take it slowly. I have at least a half-dozen books on Photoshop and I've read them all, but it seems like the more I read, the more confused I got. A while back, I decided to try to set enough time aside to learn how to use one feature or tool per day and practice with them a bit so at least I'd have a basic idea of how to use them when the need arose. So far, it's been working out pretty well. It's easy to feel overwhelmed if you look at it all at once, but it's a little easier if you do it in increments. Boy, times have changed - when I was doing street photography with film, I didn't even use a light meter a good part of the time. Those days are long gone. (LOL)

Lynn - Great pics in what I would consider "accckkk!!!!!!!" conditions- white subject/snow/lots of sun on a clear day!!! #4 looks very nice , balanced/crisp and engaging . I get the sense the others have been "more" processed and in that pipeline have lost some snap/saturation and definition - though they are great behavioural images nonetheless.

hope that helps

cheers

Will

Wow!

Beautiful shots and extraordinary subjects. The fourth frame, river flowing through the canyon, just bumped my dry fly itch up a notch.

Lynn - Great pics in what I would consider "accckkk!!!!!!!" conditions- white subject/snow/lots of sun on a clear day!!! #4 looks very nice , balanced/crisp and engaging . I get the sense the others have been "more" processed and in that pipeline have lost some snap/saturation and definition - though they are great behavioural images nonetheless.

hope that helps

cheers

Will

Anytime I get suggestions Will it helps :) You are correct not ideal conditions and I found it hard to get white on white and all the other stuff exposed correctly. I did get a bunch to come out pretty good these are just some I picked out. The River is the least processed and if memory serves me correctly little if any. The first one where the goat is standing is the same little to none. The goat walking down and away is little to none. The other two I had to play a little with. The one had kind of a shine on the snow was the hardest to get right.

Overall I'm pleased but still want to get it more right each time. Understanding the conditions as they were, type of day ect I was happy especial when I blew the first 8 or 10 due to excietment! I look at yours and others on the board. Trying to get mine to that level. :) I like the learning process and having fun doing it.

Lynn, it's been my experience that the best way to deal with all the tech stuff is to keep it as simple as you can and take it slowly. I have at least a half-dozen books on Photoshop and I've read them all, but it seems like the more I read, the more confused I got. A while back, I decided to try to set enough time aside to learn how to use one feature or tool per day and practice with them a bit so at least I'd have a basic idea of how to use them when the need arose. So far, it's been working out pretty well. It's easy to feel overwhelmed if you look at it all at once, but it's a little easier if you do it in increments. Boy, times have changed - when I was doing street photography with film, I didn't even use a light meter a good part of the time. Those days are long gone. (LOL)

Hi Peterjay

I'm doing the same thing in trying to learn something new each day or week. Sometimes it takes me a week to get it down he he. There is alot I have no clue. I just need to learn more even just about my camera :) Any good books you can recommend that you have read?

Wow!

Beautiful shots and extraordinary subjects. The fourth frame, river flowing through the canyon, just bumped my dry fly itch up a notch.

I had that itch start about a day after the season ended but I would agree it did increase the juices for sure. I have some fly fishing shows to be at the next two weeks along with some stillwater presentations. After the next two weeks doing that I'm going to be so juiced to go I will drive my wife crazy. As she knows it's all about fishing from there he he--- with alot of photography :) Let the itch begin :)