Fly Tying
FlorentineJohn

Glue keeps evaporating

Hi,

This sounds ridiculous, but I have a glue problem.

I am learning how to tie wet flies; I am a slow tier and so I only tie a couple a day in the evening. I got the (first) Don Bastian DVD and he recommends Griff's thin multi-coat cement followed by the E. Hille Lacquer cement (which smells like pesticides...) and finally black lacquer.

I have no problem with either the multi-coat cement or the lacquer. I keep the first in one of the Renzetti bottles with bodkin, and the second one came with a bodkin so I keep it in its original container.

The problem is that the E. Hille Lacquer cement keeps evaporating no matter how tightly I close the container! I've tried switching to small glass bottles, even closing the original bottles (I had 2 now I'm down to 1 due to evaporation) in Zip-Lok bags, all to no avail. (I have the same problem, though not as badly, with Dave's Flexament.) :wallbash:

This is such a silly problem to have! Have you faced the same problem? Did you find an evaporation-proof container? Please let me know.

Thanks!

At one time lacquers & spar varnish were the only thing available. If it's real lacquer, then the problem is the solvent, which does evaporate rather quickly. You need to get some lacquer thinner & keep adding it as needed. If the seal in the cap is damaged it will dry up fast. That foil on the seal is there for that reason. You could try to use a piece of aluminum foil over the bottle, then put the cap on. Make sure the bottle mouth edges are clean. Sometimes that will work, but not always. Don't use plastic wrap, the solvent will likely just dissolve it & make a big mess.

In the past, I've thrown many jars of lacquer away, that sat on a shelf & dried up before I could use it. I haven't used it in many years. Now many of the head cements are acrylics, like nail polish. As you've already noticed, the solvent stinks, and is not good for you to breath it in. Not that any solvent in head cements is good to breath in, but since lacquer solvent evaporates so fast, you get more of it at a time. You might want to think about switching to another type of head cement.

Good luck! :unsure:

yea sound like tidewaterfly got it for you. only reason i am adding to it is to say that there a plenty of other head cements and the like out there. they are all really just personal preference. so i would guess what you have will probably not be your favorite nothing wrong with that just try something new. or get some advice from some guys on here for what they use.

I had the same problem, especially with Dave's Flexament and the Dave's Flexament Thinner. What I do now when I'm not planning to use the products for a week or more is to wrap black electrical tape around the neck of the glass bottle and up onto the lid. I get about 3 layers covering the joint between the glass and plastic lid sealing the lid - and this has stopped my evaporation problem completely - or at least it has stopped it to the point where I no longer notice that any has evaporated. I now do this with any "volatile" (prone to evaporation) fly tying products like loon hard and soft head, sparkle nail polishes etc. that I do not use on a very regular basis. Hope this works as well for you as it does for me.

You may find a solution in using a container that is specifically designed to prevent solvent evaporation. Namely a nail polish bottle. Go to your local discount store and purchase a few bottles of the cheapest nail polish they have. Dump it out and rinse the bottles clean with acetone or your solvent of choice. Fill with the head cement and you will no longer have leaking or evaporation problems. Of course as with any solvent based liquid you have to seal the bottle after each use.

Thank you!

Is there a clear glossy acrylic lacquer (not so thick that it comes out as a glob) that is non-toxic or at the very least slow-evaporating that you recommend?

It's amazing how stinky the lacquer I now have is: I closed the bottle extremely tightly, then put it in a Zip-Lok bag, then into a plastic shoebox container used to store other fly tying materials, yet I could still smell the solvent (faintly) and when I opened the shoebox it smelled as if I were in a "superfund" (toxics cleanup) site! I have to be careful, especially considering that I live in a "sealed" apartment and my fly tying space is a walk-in closet (a closed-in closed-in space)... :sick:

So, I'll try the electric tape for now, and as I run low I'll switch to a nail polish bottle, but if you can recommend a better alternative, please let me know.

Thanks again! :)