Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Futzer

Death of a creek

hope it all works out Jeff one of my favorite small streams had that same problem but was beavers doing the damming after trapping the beaver a buddy and I went to tear out the dam to restore flow. The DNR caught us removing the dam and was going to TICKET us both. We talked him into going for a walk with us showing him dead trout and holes that were usually 3-4 feet deep that were only 3-4 inches deep he decided to look awayand not ticket us. We now have our creek back and a bonus pond since we could only remove about half the dam the pond is about 12 feet deep in its deepest and holds some real nice brook trout I have seen a few over 15 inches come out of the pond

as a fisherman, that makes me sad to see such disrespect to a natural resource...........as a retired waterways conservation officer--I am sad to see that somebody was not doing their job and not checking on whatever entity was to control the release of water............simply pathetic...........

I hope the stream fully recovers.........it will take years to grow your giants again........and that is if they are given what they need to survive..........water

Hey Futzer.

This is not an uncommon event no matter how you look at it and I share in your grief. They do this to a whole river where I live.

In fact I documented a fish save I did in the middle of winter here in Southeast Idaho.

They do this every year now (for the last 3 years) and are getting away with it.

Watch it here:

http://flyfishing.hook.tv/Clip.aspx?key=6EB21276F76D98FE

I'm going to explode one of these days if people don't change their century old mindset about water being important to crops alone.

Farmers in our valley have destroyed the river and the groundwater level completely, no ifs ands or butts about it.

They have no remorse, no care other than self preservation. Heck they even hate each other here.

Oh the stories I could tell (I sell ranch and farm real estate)

Trout unlimited did a presentation this last summer proving the groundwater shrinkage due to farmers deep wells and I was in personal attendance.

They had an incredible amount of charts and graphs and studies and they proved their point to me, but the farmers in attendance (94% of the people in attendance) would not be swayed and were hateful and mean.

It would take 5 20 foot snow winters in a row with massive runoff to get this valley back to anything recognizable.

We are the minority here Futzer and unless you have a billion dollars forget it and find somewhere else to fish.....At least until they dry that one up to.

It will continue.

At least you still have your memories.

They can't take those.

The loss of any favorite stream or river sucks. I don't really have any rivers around here that suffer like that but we have lakes that do. It gets pumped lower and lower because the people with money cry that their losing their backyard beaches whenever the lake level rises a little bit.