Fly Tying
flyfshn76

where to find lead foil?

I am trying to find some sticky back lead foil. The stuff that is very thin. The wire makes my czech nymphs to thick, and I know that the lead foil adds weight without bulk.

I am trying to find some sticky back lead foil. The stuff that is very thin. The wire makes my czech nymphs to thick, and I know that the lead foil adds weight without bulk.

i was a sport mart 2day and got some thread and lead wire and i saw some other stuuf flat gold and silver tinsel on a spool and some other thing on a spool i had never saw,it looked like maybe foil?I \dont know maybe you could call them brian

shane

You can press the lead body with pincers and form it by this way. Don´t worry about it.

You can't as far as I know buy lead foil. But you can buy a sticky backed foil at automotive stores . I use it for under bodys for Zonkers.

cz nymphs want to be heavy to sink so why not just use what ya got?? or use smaller diameter lead wire!

more than 1 way to add lead to a hook. check out post #14 here: http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=39533

if you really really have to have it, try here (just watch out for the shipping costs)

http://www.flytyingspecialties.com/product...?products_id=48

I have some at the store

Beleive it or not i still have a package of the old Christmas tree ice-sicles that are lead. You might watch out for old folks tossing out decorations or even check out auction houses with old decorations. They were out-lawed in the late 70s...i found them when cleaning out a relatives basement. They weigh about 10-15 times what a regular box does so you will know instantly when you pick up a box.

Do you truly want the best lead foil? Make friends with your dentist. I got a bag from mine years ago. Each piece is like one inch by one and one half inch. The strips are paper thin. The mold smooth with tying thread. Mine gave me two one gallon ziplock bags several years ago.

The fastest - and most fun - way to get flat lead is to roll over your lead wire with an empty beer bottle :)

I really recommend using flat wire for Czech nymphs, it truly does add greater weight at given profile than round wire.

You can try the store for RC aeroplane folks; these guys are crafty and use the stuff in their models.

Sometimes the foil on the neck of wine bottles is lead. Caution is the word here as some are just plastic. I can't tell you how many bottles I've had to consume just to get the foil and the the feeling of disappointment when it turns out that the bottle I opened just had plastic. I've learned to mellow out though and live with it. With spring just around the corner, I'd better make another run to get some more of that stuff... err, I mean foil.