Fly Tying
big_fish

eyes on flies

well my thinking is that most of what a fish eats has eyes so I try to tie them with eyes or glue eyes on I don't tie realistic flies i like to ty what I use and use what I tie

I sometimes use eyes on my flies depends on what type they are if they are streamers i usually will like when tying a clouser minnow of some of my custom bass flies i use bead chain eyes or dumbell, when i make a flie not really for a fast falling affect i use the stick on eyes then cover them with a little epoxy or scent-less glue

I have read several of the other comments and agree with most. I also believe that it depends on the profile you want your fly to have in the water. When I am tying my bass poppers most of them have eyes just because it makes them look better... Also if I want them to resemble a frog I put some kind of eyes on them. Most of my craws have eyes also to add to the profile of the fly. However some of my bait fish pattern poppers may not have eyes but they still catch fish. I believe it is all in the fisher and tyer

I agree with most here that eyes may help but are not necessary. It seems that some predators certainly key in on eyes when attacking. Many scientists think redfish have spots on their tails in order to fool predators into attacking their tail end thinking it is their head which allows them to escape unharmed. I suppose the same would be true for Peacock bass.