Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fishinbub

LM Bass Patterns

I got a new canoe for my 16th birthday and I'm planning on taking it out Saturday. I've tied up a bunch of flies but I'm still looking for some lizard and frog patterns. Also does anyone know something that resembles a plastic worm?

San Juan Worm...hit the "search" at the top and you're sure to find a few...Dhise and a couple other masters in here can put 'em together for sure... :thumbsup: ;)

Here's a pattern i tie. It's a plastic worm fly that uses it,s own body as it,s own weedguard.The body is made just like a gulley worm but that's about it.Instead of using just chenille or yarn for the body,I use yarn of one's choosing and stretch magic material . Stretch magic is a rubber cord like material used in beading,bracelet making and the such.You can find it at any hobby/craft store. For size #8 worm I like to use one length of yarn to two length of stretch magic.Varying the number of lengths of yarn or stretch magic will have an effect on how the fly behaves and feels.Furl those pieces together(not to tight) and tie it on the underside of a popper hook that you have already placed mini lead eyes on the topside of the hook(The lead eyes are placed in the crook of the hook).After the furled materials are placed in front of the eyes,take the furled material and stick the hook point thru the yarn and stetch magic.(Make sure you throw some slack in the yarn and stretch magic first,so there is some give and flexability in the worm btw. the hook eye and hook pt.)You can then sit the worm up against the hook ,just behind the barb.The yarn and stretch magic material then act as the weedguard.WHEN a fish takes it,the yarn and stretch magic will easily slide down ,exposing the hook pt.The stretch magic will provide flexibility and give to the finished worm.Finish off head and that's it.The reason for the popper hook is that thru my experience the worm sits hook pt. up better than any other type of hook with the lead eyes on this fly.Have lots of fun. :D

P.S. - Sorry no pics.

this is kind of funny, and it's come up several times- tying a fly that suggests a lure that suggests something edible. One of the main reasons soft plastic worms are so effective for bass is because of the texture of the plastic. They probably feel "real" to the fish, which hair, feathers, fur, don't or at least not as much. My Tiffany Worm has sliding and slithering action better than any plastic worm I've ever seen, but the fish won't hold on to it like they do a soft plastic. I've had LMB slam the hell out of it, but not hold on like I've seen them do to a plastic worm. A 4 or 5 inch plastic worm can be fished very effectively on about a 6 weight and heavier fly rod. Nothing wrong with it as long as you're having fun. If you've only ever fished a plastic worm on casting tackle with a weight, you won't believe how alive it will look with no weight...