Fly Tying
BillyBrookTrout

Take A Kid Fishing

Took a hint from Oatka and had my daughter try her own hand with her new pink and black spinning rod. We hit a local park pond for bluegills. She insisted on casting the rod herself. After showing her just one time, she was casting 30 feet with a bobber and a redworm. I cannot describe the feeling I felt watching her glow, and I mean radiantly glow, with pride and self satisfaction for "doing it herself." A wonderful, special, sacred thing. A memory that I pray she someday cherishes as much as I already do :wub:

BigDaddyHub, I'm glad to hear it worked out! It is great teaching them how to fish. My 11 year old son fishes, my 7 year old son fishes, my 5 year old daughter fishes, and my 2 year old son casts his bobber, but he is getting better at it. A few years from now, when he's about 4 or 5, I'll tie a fly on the end of his setup and he'll be good to go. I have even shown them all how to cast a fly rod, but not to the point where any of them really can, except my 11 year old, he's doing ok with it.

Tonight, I'm going out fishing with probably 5 or so kids from church, and parents, it could be quite an interesting night. My largest group of people that I've ever gone fishing with.....unless you count the other 400 guys in a 100 yard section when I fished the Salmon River 12 years ago......CRAZY!!!

One piece of advice that someone gave me that proved true. If you take a kid fishing, yours or someone else's, don't plan on fishing yourself. Focus on teaching the kid, not on fishing yourself, particularly on the first couple of trips.

That's exactly right, Terry...I have been involved as a counselor/mentor with different organizations in the past and that was the first lesson I learned....go to teach and mentor, not to fish. If you focus oon your own pleasure, your students get none of thier own and you may even turn them off if it becomes too frustrating for them, especially the little ones

I can tell you from experience this rod is great for a kid to learn. It's cheap and works great. Plus it is very light, which helps a TON for long trips.

http://www.troutlet.com/Eagle-Claw-Granger...-Rods-P216.aspx

This one is good too, at a much better price.

http://www.troutlet.com/Eagle-Claw-Feather...-Rods-P217.aspx

When my son was 10 I took him and five of his friends to a youth only fishing tournament.

Spent the entire day teaching one to cast ,another to bait his hook , another when to set the hook ;and all the while untangleing lines and unhooking fish. It is one of my fondest memories. The sad thing is , some of those kids moved away and when I see them around the Holidays they still remember the only time they got to go fishing .

Fred

On Memorial Day weekend I took my ten y/o out flyfishing. She has become pretty proficient at casting her 8' fly rod. We were nymphing with a san juan worm and an indicator. I was located about 20 yards down stream when she yelled that she had one.... I had been watching her cast and she was getting the fly and indicator out about 15-20 feet. I at first thought she had a rock, but as I ran up to her the brown trout jumped out of the water, dancing a foot above the river. She fought the fish admirably and we netted it. Her first trout on a fly rod, all by her self no less. Just before I was able to get a picture of my daughter holding the trout it wiggled out of her hands back into the water.

Later in the day she caught a couple of spawning suckers. These really put a bend in the rod!

IMG_2732.JPG

IMG_2735.JPG

One piece of advice that someone gave me that proved true. If you take a kid fishing, yours or someone else's, don't plan on fishing yourself. Focus on teaching the kid, not on fishing yourself, particularly on the first couple of trips.

I'm taking about 20 or so Scouts camping/fishing in a couple of weeks, for many this will be their first fishing trip. I'm planing on de-knotting a whole lot of fishing lines. We're hitting the Delaware Water Gap, should be fun :blink:

I'm taking about 20 or so Scouts camping/fishing in a couple of weeks, for many this will be their first fishing trip. I'm planing on de-knotting a whole lot of fishing lines. We're hitting the Delaware Water Gap, should be fun :blink:

Good Luck Rich,

My son is going with 7 other boy scouts for a three day camping trip in about 6 weeks to Green river. This will be his first camp with the boy scouts. He is so excited. He bridged over the second weekend in May from the cubscouts. This is also his first outing that I haven't been his leader or assistant and I won't be attending this one so he is off with his scout buddies. However he knows how to set camp, help around camp, and fish. We do it on a regular bases. He can help his fellow scouters if needed.

Have fun,

Flyfisher13-Jamie

Had the privilege and honor to help out handicapped kids and adults on a fishing trip.What an experience that was, highly recommend it.

Have a good one

Pat Carroll