Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tightlines

Algonquin Park

Going on to the park my first time last week, I noticed the majority of the water was lakes. I carry my spinning rod with me just in case I get a call for some lake fishing. I threw out a few casts and pulled in some small mouth bass and was having some fun. Then came the rain. 20 hours of straight rain and my camping friend and I packed in what was supposed to be a 3 day trip. Luckily we did pack it in because North Bay and Peterborough both were in states of emergency as a result of the rain.

I am heading back to Algonquin Aug 10-13 and was wondering if anyone knew any rivers not too deep in, or even just off HWY 60. I dont like to go to far into the woods by myself, I kinda fear bears.

smile.gif

Till next time.

Tightlines

Tightlines,

You're right, the vast majority of the water in Algonquin is still, and very, very deep. If you're looking for lakes to visit on a day trip, I would recommend Sunday and Sproule Lakes. They are very close to HWY 60 (150m or so), near Opeongo Lake, and hold splake as well as smallmouth. A float tube or a canoe is all you need to fish these small lakes.

If it's running water you're after, check out the Madawaska River or the Oxtongue river. Both hold brookies and smallmouth in certain sections, and have easy to get to access points.

As far as the bears go, if you're doing the interior camping make sure you hang your food high in a tree away from your tent. Better yet - find a small island and camp on it. Even though bears can swim your mind will be at ease. If all else fails, just drink a few cold ones before bed and you'll forget all about the bears wink.gif drunk.gif

If you fear bears the last place you want to stay is on an island!! bs.gif

I have been going to Algonquin for over 20 years. All deaths of humans by bears in Algonquin Park have come on islands. Most bear "incidents" have come on islands. Bates island on Lake Opengo has had deaths and many attacks over the years. Bear "incidents" should be down this year because there should be plenty of berries this year.

Bears swim to the islands. Say the island is two acers. The bear during the swim has used a tremendous amount of energy. They smell food on the island. You now have yourself and a bear on a small island. The bear really does not want to leave right away especially with a food source right near them. This is inviting trouble. Islands usually don't have any good hanging trees. For the most part they have been picked clean of firwood as well. So you would have to canoe your firewood over. If you are looking for places to stay. You want to be on main land. Preferably on the East side of the lake. The westerly winds will help keep the bugs down to a minimum. Make sure you cook food at least 100 yards away from camp. Make sure you store your food at least 100 yards from camp. The food needs to be suspened at leats 12 feet up and 10 feet out from base fo tree. Then hung about 6 feet below the branch it is hung over. Bears are smart and can climb with the best.

The rivers that Pujic mentioned are great rivers and off the highway 60 corridor. Otterslide creek is another good one and could make for a great overnight trip. If you don't care what access point you leave from I can offer some trip suggestions. Let me know how many days you are going and when. Water levels vary so much depending on time of the year. Some trips are not even possible come August. blink.gif

Sign in to follow this