Fly Tying
rockworm

What do you do with surplus flies?

Surplus flies?  

203 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi guys,

Gretchen and I donate our extra flies to fly-fishing organizations who are trying to raise money to keep their group functioning or for conservation/eduction projects. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Gretchen & Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Hi guys,

Gretchen and I donate our extra flies to fly-fishing organizations who are trying to raise money to keep their group functioning or for conservation/eduction projects. Take care & ...

www.btsflyfishing.com

Any suggestions of organizations for people who could donate extra flies?

Hi guys,

www.btsflyfishing.com

Any suggestions of organizations for people who could donate extra flies?

Casting for Recovery(breast cancer survivors)

Project Healing Waters(Wounded Veteran Support) A simple way to say thanks for all you've done.

ussually my best flies get shared either through swap, Donation, or to someone on the river and I fish the b flies and strip the C flies.

I never have "too many flies. Like everyone else, I have some flies I would give an A, the majority get a B, and the C grade flies are mostly what I fish with. The fish will soon turn our best flies into ragged bits of fuzz, and they still keep on hitting them, so why not start with one that looks used?

I am fortunate in having friends and family in several key locations around the country that don't tie. They put me up when I visit, on fishing trips. I always make sure I leave plenty of A and B grade flies for them to fish with until I make another visit. When ever they run out, they know to call for more. I have been supplying my family, and many friends going on 30 years.

On a different post, I estimated that I have right now, just over 3000. Most of these will be gone by November. Then I can start to refill the boxes.

When I ties for donations, for groups like Casting for Recovery etc, I usually tie specificaly for them, and try and give them my best work.

I never have "too many flies. Like everyone else, I have some flies I would give an A, the majority get a B, and the C grade flies are mostly what I fish with. The fish will soon turn our best flies into ragged bits of fuzz, and they still keep on hitting them, so why not start with one that looks used?

I am fortunate in having friends and family in several key locations around the country that don't tie. They put me up when I visit, on fishing trips. I always make sure I leave plenty of A and B grade flies for them to fish with until I make another visit. When ever they run out, they know to call for more. I have been supplying my family, and many friends going on 30 years.

On a different post, I estimated that I have right now, just over 3000. Most of these will be gone by November. Then I can start to refill the boxes.

When I ties for donations, for groups like Casting for Recovery etc, I usually tie specificaly for them, and try and give them my best work.

Sweet. It's always good to know that your flies are being put to good use. With the ammount of flies we tie, no way we can fish them all

I watch a few boards for folks that are just getting into fly fishing, especially warmwater, and will send them a couple of dozen flies,.

I also send a few hundred flies to casting for recovery each year.

Plus, if I don't loose at lease 4 flies on an outing, I am not fishing lcoe enougbh to the structure.

Crappie

I give alot to people to try out whether I know you or not Im always giving people my flies to try. I also belong to a club called the Hook & Hackle Club of Calgary and we donate alot of flies to Casting For Life, Casting Forr Recovery and numerous auctions and good causes.

My fly tying club is always soliciting flys from members to put together fly boxes we can raffle at the various events our club attends. The club also have an annual fund raising auction to which we donate flys. Sooo, I really never have any extra.

Lanning

Give them away to friends for beer ..... I like that idea ....... right now I just give them away......... I can always tie more.

Having just started to tie, I have some really bad ones that get recycled. In fact, I recycled the last of the really bad ones yesterday. I've noticed how much my tying has improved in just a couple of months. I've started to swap flies with my neighbor - he likes tying larger warmwater/saltwater flies, and I like the trout flies, so we've started trading off. That way we both have a good inventory.

I don't tie very often, but it seems like I end up donating flies to a lot of people either on the lake or river.

Which is good since it makes me have to tie enough to keep rust from setting in. :D

If I meet someone who just started fishing or tying I give them a dozen or so in hopes that they catch a lot fish and have great day on the water or bench and become addicted like the rest of us. :devil2:

Futzer - that was very kind of you, I'm sure that karma got good things in store for ya.

I tie some different color combos of zebra midge patterns and experiment with them as much as possible. The spots I fish mostly are in a local camp ground and if I see some people .. usually youngsters .. from out of the area that may be struggling I offer them a handful of what may be the hot combo that day. The only problem with that is I usually end up handing out the last of that pattern so I have to try something else. :rolleyes:

Mike