Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Crotalus

Online tutorial for beginner

Can anyone recommend a good beginner online tutorial for using manual settings on DSLR cameras? I want to expand my photo taking abilities but i am generally clueless about the manual settings so i need something really geared to a total noob.

Thanks

I am currently trying to find a book through Amazon. I have Kindle on my iPhone and can read the first chapter of any available book for free before buying it.

The first one i am checking out is The Digital Photography Book by Scott Kelby. it seems pretty good so far, written in a conversational tone, he gives you tips and advice on improving photos without getting into a lot of technical info. i dont need to know why i need a certain shutter speed for a certain situation, i just need to know that i need it :)

The Scott Kelby books are really good. I have several for each version of photoshop I have ended up with over the years.

Best thing to do is get a small notebook grab your camera and go out shooting. Record your settings for each shot, and a brief note on conditions (cloudy, sunny all that fun stuff) and just see what works for you. I was always told a very long time ago that film is cheap. With digital it is even cheaper so playing with settings takes nothing but some time.

A good friend of mine started a blog that breaks it all down well. http://flyartstudio.com/wordpress/ It is a work in progress with each future posting building on the last. it is focused more on Fly photography but the principals are the same. Scroll down or chose from the menu, granted he is starting off with teaching how to use P&S cameras in the manual mode but it has a direct relationship and goes further into explaining the terminology. Hope that helps a bit.