Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
monkey93

water wisp flies

i was thinking on ordering some waterwisp fly hooks to try out, but decided to read about the a little and found some not so reassuring things about how good they are and was looking for others opinions

I have been tying these dries for over a year and I can tell you they are very realistic! They work fantasticly! I like to use a split tail technique (for stability) as well as a quill body for the realism it projects. Then post it with poly or antron or polar ice. I wish I had a few pics to post so you could see.

The hook rides up as I'm sure you know so it tends to stick the fish in the upper jaw. This is alot firmer holding than the lower or the classic side of the mouth hook set.

The only down side if there is one is you can only do parachute style flies.... now probably someone on this board has figured how to do another variety but untill then...

Oh yeah and if you have the pinch foam fly box, good luck storing this fly. You'll have to pinch in the eye side the fly and careful not to kink the tails (which come off the eye side of the fly).

I have been tying these dries for over a year and I can tell you they are very realistic! They work fantasticly! I like to use a split tail technique (for stability) as well as a quill body for the realism it projects. Then post it with poly or antron or polar ice. I wish I had a few pics to post so you could see.

The hook rides up as I'm sure you know so it tends to stick the fish in the upper jaw. This is alot firmer holding than the lower or the classic side of the mouth hook set.

The only down side if there is one is you can only do parachute style flies.... now probably someone on this board has figured how to do another variety but untill then...

Oh yeah and if you have the pinch foam fly box, good luck storing this fly. You'll have to pinch in the eye side the fly and careful not to kink the tails (which come off the eye side of the fly).

thanks I might have to give these a try..............................have you noticed any difference in hook-ups, because one thing i read was they had less hook-ups

thanks I might have to give these a try..............................have you noticed any difference in hook-ups, because one thing i read was they had less hook-ups

Maybe they had less hook-ups cuz they're :poop:-y fly anglers. Jus' saying..

Seriously, I never noticed that. In fact the silhouette is much better than a classic Catskill style dry so...

I bought some hooks at a show, geez they are expensive (and I love buying expensive hooks). It would great to see some pics of your flies, I haven't tried them yet and it would be great to have some models.