Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
iso18

I AM THROUGH WITH LEAD WIRING

iso, IMO, you are getting way too "wrapped up" (ha ha ha) in this. There is NO way to weight a tiny fly that will not bulk it up. OK, you could probably add a few micrograms of tackyweight to your 14/0 thread, and it would sink the fly approximately zero percent faster... Enough weight to make a difference- when you consider the drag from the leader- will be larger than your fly. Your best bet is going to be small shot on your leader.

iso, IMO, you are getting way too "wrapped up" (ha ha ha) in this. There is NO way to weight a tiny fly that will not bulk it up. OK, you could probably add a few micrograms of tackyweight to your 14/0 thread, and it would sink the fly approximately zero percent faster... Enough weight to make a difference- when you consider the drag from the leader- will be larger than your fly. Your best bet is going to be small shot on your leader.

you can use the tacky weight like shot also.Remember,I mentioned this in my post.Thats what i plan on doing.I am tired of casting double the size of bb shot.Like someone said it casts like sh%&!This is where the tacky weight comes in.I'll use it like shot,until i can find SOME SHOT AS SMALL AS #5 OR #6 BIRD SHOT.

visit my blog http://hatchesmagazine.com/blogs/isoemerger18/

have you tried using a sinking tip line?

years ago i owned a sinking tip,but that was b4 this revelation.I was trying to keep it cheap,but a sinking tip may get the job done on occassion.U see,i want to be able to toss emergers dries and pupae,nymphs all with the same line.The small shot seems my best option,but i cant seem to find anty super small shot.Thanx riffleriversteelhaedslayer

shane

The small shot seems my best option,but i cant seem to find anty super small shot.

If you are looking for tiny shot, try this .... its 9 bucks, but will last you a long time... i have the micro size and do use it to add weight to emergers when the water is running fast.

orvis split shot

http://www.orvis.com/store/productchoice.a...mp;cat_id=16986

what river do you fish down there that is so big? when I lived in in SW PA I went down to the tucker area (I think) it was all nice little streams that my short 2 weight worked perfect on.

If you are looking for tiny shot, try this .... its 9 bucks, but will last you a long time... i have the micro size and do use it to add weight to emergers when the water is running fast.

orvis split shot

http://www.orvis.com/store/productchoice.a...mp;cat_id=16986

what river do you fish down there that is so big? when I lived in in SW PA I went down to the tucker area (I think) it was all nice little streams that my short 2 weight worked perfect on.

Thank you saltydog,that is just what i need it looks like.Thank you for finding that 4 me.

shane

God bless

Hello iso18:

The other day while tying nymphs for a fly swap I ran out of no-lead wire, you know that expensive stuff, so I did a little experiment. I dug out the powder scale I use for reloading ammo and weighed 10cm each of .o25 lead substitute (.64mm) and .025 copper wire (.64mm). The result of that comparison in my opinion turned out to be more than interesting: The 10cm of lead substitute weighed 3.7grains and the 10cm of same diameter copper weighed 4.7 grains. Admittedly the copper is a little harder to wrap around a hook than lead, however, since no-lead of that size costs me about $6.00 plus freight and a comparable length of .025 copper at the local automotive supply costs about $0.60 guess what I am going to use to weight my nymphs in the future.

Greetings, Luchs.

PS It sure looks neat when Davie Mcphail wraps sticky lead foil around his demo hooks, but I think I'll now STICK with copper wire.

I'm not a big fan of weighting flys because I think it alters the movement of the fly in a way that looks unnatural. Splitshot or tungsten putty on the leader do the job. Plenty of ways to skin a cat.

I never tried this, but it looks interesting: Tungsten Thread

You could try flattening the lead wire into a strip and that nights give you a better shape. Just roll a pen or round cylinder object to flatten.

Reasons.Smaller flies,hard to get that natural shape you want on a nymph.

shane aka iso18

God bless

What size nymphs are you talking about?

Here are the specific gravities of some metals in comparison to lead.

Tungsten 19.0

Tantalum 16.6

Lead 11.342

Silver 10.5

Molybdenum 10.2

Bismuth 9.781

Copper 8.89

Nickel 8.85

Monel 8.80

Cobalt 8.71

Iron 7.87

Tin 7.29

Zinc 7.14

Nymphs have different shapes so I am not sure why "lead wire" makes small nymphs look unnatural. The smallest mayfly nymphs are trico and the Baetis BWOs. Both are not what I would call so thin that lead wraps would be unnatural, especially over the thorax.

Trico

Trico+9-4-2010+11-58-18+PM.JPG

3870127947_9acba295b4_z.jpg

Baetis

BWO001.jpg

baetis-nymph.jpg

QUOTE (JSzymczyk @ Mar 13 2009, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you can use the tacky weight like shot also.Remember,I mentioned this in my post.Thats what i plan on doing.I am tired of casting double the size of bb shot.Like someone said it casts like sh%&!This is where the tacky weight comes in.I'll use it like shot,until i can find SOME SHOT AS SMALL AS #5 OR #6 BIRD SHOT.

visit my blog http://hatchesmagazine.com/blogs/isoemerger18/

I have good luck with the Air-Flo tungsten putty - Sink do?- just a little on the last knot holds better than on a smooth part of the leader/tippet.

Sinking a fly isn't about weight! Its about density. Adding weight is one way to increase the density of a fly, but if you put enough light weight materials on a hook you can float a gold head.

Beading supplies sell copper wire in a lots of colours. It no longer need be hidden under the dressing. Here is one fly that uses coloured copper wire for the body. Also the head is Quick Decent dubbing, a dubbing made from coloured wire wool (I suspect aluminium). Very fine copper wire is available, so I can tie nymphs down to size 20 with no problem.

WovenFlies_0002_zps7d277e35.jpg

If you want the self adhesive lead foil that Davie uses then it is the stuff that golfers use to weight their bats. Your local pro shop will have it in various sizes.

Cheers,

C.

Lead wire is bulky on smaller flies. I only use the 010 size, and usually only put it on under the thorax only to cut back on bulk.