Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dafunk5446

Spey patterns for bass

So I have been looking at Spey patterns a lot lately, and their similarity to prawn/crayfish looks like it might be a winner with bass. I am also fairly sure smaller versions would slay the gills and SM's. Has anybody ever tried them in warm water scenarios?

Yeah, I felt the same way. I've tied about a half dozen just to go play with. Haven't had a chance to use them yet but will real soon. I also feel that Salmon Fly's would be great LMB attractor fly's. I've started tying up some hair wings just for that purpose.

Yeah, I felt the same way. I've tied about a half dozen just to go play with. Haven't had a chance to use them yet but will real soon. I also feel that Salmon Fly's would be great LMB attractor fly's. I've started tying up some hair wings just for that purpose.

I've tied some chartruese Intruders and Metal Detectors for bass. Haven't had a chance to use them yet.

Well I am glad I am not the only one who thought they might work. I agree with the idea about salmon flies too. We will have to make sure to update on their efficiency.

Not Spey flies specifically, but I have used other Steelhead & Salmon flies for bass. I particularly like the articulated marabou & rabbit leeches, & MOAL flies. Skunks, & some of the other hairwings work great on stream Smallmouths. General Practitioners work good too!

When I first started tying flies, I tied Keys style tarpon patterns on #2 & 1/0 hooks for bass, and they work real well. I also copied steelhead flies, like Thor & Polar Shrimp to use for shad.

There's a lot of potential in patterns tied specifically for one species, but could work well for others!

You just have to keep an open mind! :)

I use spey hackle for one of my patterns which I fish in fresh and saltwater but the pattern looks nothing like a traditional spey fly more like a wooly bugger on steroids. It does give the fly a lot of movement even without stripping.

I caught one of my biggest bass on a Salmon/Steelhead fly. A Chart. Comet on a size 6 salmon hook.

imgp1024.jpg

I met a guy at Sowbug last year who was tying spey type flies for bass. He was using marabou instead of spey hackle and they looked really good. Like you, I've often felt they should be good for bass but haven't quite developed the skill or patience to tie one. I have done some Rangely style streamers for bass and had really good success with them.

TxEngr

If you think about it, a spey fly is pretty much a wooly bugger with no tail, longer hackle, and a mallard wing. Spey flies were originally tied to look like shrimp etc. so they should be a good crawfish imitation too in the right colors. Classic bass flies are similar to classic salmon flies so atlantic salmon flies would certainly work on bass. I also plan on trying this out and I'm expecting good results.